No boot/video

Closed
viewtifull Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday January 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2009 - Jan 14, 2009 at 07:05 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 14, 2009 at 08:16 PM
Hello,

When i power my computer all the lights and fans kick on but i get nothing on the monitor and i get no beeps nor do i hear the window start up chime. I am using my onboard video card, i know it is not the monitor because i tried it on another PC and it worked and i still would have heard sound. Most forums that i read said it could be the video card. I took a video card(AGP) from another PC and tried it in mine and got the same results no start up no bios noting just fans and lights. Does anyone know what is wrong, could the power supply be bad even though my fans and light still work or maybe the motherboard? Any advice would be great so that i don't go out and waste money on parts that i don't even need.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 14, 2009 at 08:16 PM
At this point I can't say what the problem is. It could be the power supply or the motherboard. The only way to tell is to start swapping parts until it works. I would try to borrow a power supply for testing. The fans work on +12 volts but the power supply gives + and - 12 and 5 volts and +3.3 volts to the motherboard. A computer repair shop will have a testing device to test the power supply. You could bring in your power supply and see if they will test it for you.