Excel autofilter stops filtering [Solved/Closed]

-
 thankful -
Hello,

I am working with Excel 2003 professional and just yesterday after entering a bunch of records to my file, which has about 19,000 rows, I discovered that my auto-filter just stopped filtering completely.

When I clicked the arrow, there is no value in the dropdown list. There are just All, Custom, and Top 10. But even these options, when I tried to click on them, do not work either.

I have removed and re-applied the filter, but the problem remained as same. I did google and try the manual calculation mode. That did not work for me.

Even I tried to copy a dozen of records to a new worksheet and applied the auto-filter, but it showed nothing.

Please help me guys, I cannot survive without my auto-filter.

Thanks a million!
System Configuration: Windows XP Firefox 2.0.0.14
Related:

23 replies

Hi all,

I had a similar problem in the past weeks - the auto filter was freezing after a couple of use and I had no other choice than to remove the autofilter and unhide the hidden rows before putting it back for a couple more uses.

A colleague then reminded me of a common practice: instead of adding a filter to the title row, insert a blank row between the row bearing the column titles and your first row of proper data, and add the filter to that blank row. Well, it works for me. I think the filter gets stuck when the column titles get too long for some reason.
im using the formula to add =sum(b2:b184) and then enter but it doesnt work
Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
make sure the cell is formatted to be "general" and if it is so, could you explain more beside "does not work"
hi I tried the select all and then applied the filer again. It worked.
Heather C