Red hat unable to instal

Closed
vinom - Jan 23, 2009 at 08:07 AM
 MikeThaJohn - May 26, 2010 at 09:10 AM
Hello, I am currently using windows xp on my laptop acer aspire 5315, i was trying to install linux red hat 9.0
but it gives me a warning that no hard drive(s) was detected yet I have a 80GB HDD. At first i tried using the command: linux noprobe, still it could not work. I also tried command:linux rescue. Pliz can you advice me on what to .
Related:

7 responses

Hi,

latest version of fedora is 10
latest version of mandriva is 2009
latest version of Ubuntu is : 8.10
Latest version of suse is : suse11

i advice you to install ubuntu or mandriva fedora also is a good one ,but me for a beginner i advise mandriva is simple and easy and also looks very good. ubuntu is perfect linux desktop , fedora also
so you have the choice : www.ubuntu.com , www.mandriva.com and fedoraprojects.com , you can see some linux beginners howtos at www.zinovskyhowtos.info.

Today tomorw Linux :)
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 23, 2009 at 08:20 PM
Red Hat Linux 9 does not support SATA hard drives and was last updated in 2004. Why not use Ubuntu?
Thanks for the reply,I would like someone to advice me on the latest versions of Ubuntu,Fedora, Debian and Suse. I will apreciate. I want to install either of then since red hat does not support Sata hard drives
Sorry had forgoten something, what about red hat 10? does it support SATA drives or can we say all versions of red hat do not support SATA drives?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Red hat went commercial and spun off it's free distro to Fedora 10. You should go to the Fedora site for more info.
In BIOS configure, something like IDE configuration, change the value from "Enhanced" to "Legacy", then a new one comes out below it, choose the value like "IDE0/2, PATA", save and reboot.

Now linux find the drive.
then you partition the hard-drive correctly. try restarting the machine.