Partial match multi-sheet comparison

Solved/Closed
LostIntern - Jun 27, 2011 at 02:02 AM
RWomanizer Posts 365 Registration date Monday February 7, 2011 Status Contributor Last seen September 30, 2013 - Jun 29, 2011 at 01:58 AM
Hello,

I am trying to compare a manufacture's part number in a spread sheet with a spreadsheet that we have to match these part numbers to their UPC's. The only issue is that the existing spreadsheet has additions to the part numbers to help workers differentiate products. How can i make a macro that takes the part numbers in the manufacture's list and searches through the company list for a partial match? Thanks a bunch I just started learning about VBA and I am very lost...

Related:

5 responses

RWomanizer Posts 365 Registration date Monday February 7, 2011 Status Contributor Last seen September 30, 2013 120
Jun 27, 2011 at 02:27 AM
Would you please upload a sample EXCEL file WITH sample data on some shared site like https://authentification.site
AND post back here the link to allow better understanding of how it is now and how you foresee. Based on the sample book, could you re-explain your problem too.

Note: your data need not be to be real data but a good representative of how data looks like
here is the link:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29169087/SKU_to_UPC.xls

and the password:

gefokanumeko

The first column is the list of all the SKU numbers that the company uses. They should essentially be the same as those assigned by the manufacturers, but it may have additional characters at the end. To the right, in column pairs such as D&E, F&G, and so on I have the manufacturer SKU numbers, and the corresponding UPC number for each product as well. I need to try and match as many of the SKU's my company uses with the manufacture's UPC's

thanks again for the quick reply.
RWomanizer Posts 365 Registration date Monday February 7, 2011 Status Contributor Last seen September 30, 2013 120
Jun 27, 2011 at 04:10 AM
Hi,

As i look on the file and ur query, I assume that:

Sheet "SKU to UPC" part number column is SKU used by your company,

and other sheets are UPC to corrosponding SKU by the manufactures.

there are some confusion

1) you said that in your company SKU name ther are some additon character at the end, what is the criteria or trend of the additional character, please mention.

2) in sheet Cascade design the SKU no. are in text and if we convert them in number than 0 from very left side is removed, if we don't convert it in text then it cannot mapped with your company's SKU (because as seen there is no 0 in starting charater of you company's SKU no.)

so please be more explore your problem with taking examples from your sheet.

Regards,
Rahul
That is another issue that i am trying to resolve. The missing zero comes from the spread sheet interpreting the inputs as numbers and not text. I was going to remove the zeros from the stat of numbers in the cascade design sheet as well. I know that there are also entries that won't match anything in the other sheets, those are just items that I will have to enter by hand due to errors on the part of the maker of the original sheet.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jun 29, 2011 at 01:58 AM
to convert text into number, (i.e. remove 0 from starting)

write down 1 in any cell
now copy it.
than select data in column A and B in sheet "Cascade Design"
now right click,
select pastespecial
now check multiple in operation.
enter

Rahul!