Copy a row with condition

Closed
Vijoy - Aug 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Aug 15, 2011 at 07:24 AM
Hello,
I am doing accounts for a local church. We have almost 400 members with FLY Number and each member is allotted to a Group. I need to sort the members in group-wise and show in another worksheet. So that whenever there is a change made in the master file it should automatically reflect in the group page. Also each members' contributions should be reflected against their names. That part I did it without much hassle.
I tired the macro copying a cell to another sheet which is not working. I am using Windows 7. Need urgent help
Thanks in advance Vijoy

4 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Aug 11, 2011 at 06:05 PM
I think it would help if you post on some file sharing site a sample book with macro and sample data and post back the link to the file here, it would help in resolving issue, specially if you re-explain exactly what you want by using that sample book as reference
Thank you Rizvisa. Please find below the link to download the sample file. What I need is from Master File transfer the data (A, B, C) to File Ararath ( Sheet 2) and to Canan ( Sheet 3). Also whenever I make a change in the master file it should reflect in the other files as well. I have worked out the other postings in those files without much hassle. I will appreciate your help. Tks Vijoy
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29845664/Church_Test.xlsx
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Aug 13, 2011 at 08:26 AM
"whenever I make a change in the master file it should reflect in the other files as well.".What you mean by that. are you talking about the addition of new name or modification to existing name. And what if you change the location then what happens to the existing record in the original sheet (example change from ARARATH to CANAAN, so what happens to existing record in ARARATH)
Hi it is a good question. Infact, the possibility of changes can be taken place is only in the group name, as you mentioned- from Ararath to Canan. If that is the case the whole data should shift from Arrarath to Canan. My original Master file is indexed as per the Family Number Column A which will never change, obviously the name too.
Looking forward for your help. Tks Vijoy
Aug 14, 2011 at 08:02 AM
To make life easy (and to improve performance) I would suggest that do the update as a batch (on demand kind of thing). For that I would add a new column in sheet "Master Data", that will store the information related to which group the person belonged to after the batch run.
So my suggestion would be.
1. add a new column to store the last known group
2. run the update process that will see if the current group is different from last known group, move the record from last known group to new group and update the "last known group" with updated information.
Sorry, it is purely a manual process. I will be handling this only this year and next year somebody else, and if he is ignorant of the Excel you can imagine the plight.
Hence looking for a macro formula to sort this out; so that the next person can run the macro and update automatically. I hope you understood what I need exactly and will help me. Tks Vijoy
Aug 15, 2011 at 07:24 AM
Either I am not able to understand you or I was not able to make myself understood. What I am trying to say is that you need to change the design of the master sheet to allow macro to work efficiently. And for that a new column is what i suggested. This column is a helper column that macro will update and use. Some time, adding a new column is just not possible in certain book (due to some business case reasoning.) So if there is no reason on your part not to have an extra column (that should be left alone by the user (but for the first initial one time filling), it would be easy to create a macro that will do what you seeek