A random chat ALWAYS top of my facebook messages on desktop

glock339 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday January 16, 2024 Status Member Last seen January 16, 2024 - Jan 16, 2024 at 05:33 AM
 glock339 - Feb 9, 2024 at 12:12 PM

Hi for several years now when I open fb messages on my desktop via any web browser a chat from a particular person (an old customer of mine) opens up on the screen.

I only spoke to this person a few times & the last time either myself or the other person posted on this chat was several years ago & we have not interacted in any way on fb since then, yet this chat still opens up on my screen when going to my messages 100% of the time.

I have tried deleting the chat, blocking messages from the person & even blocking them entirely on fb & I done this on web browsers, on the messenger app via iphone & on the app via laptop but the now empty/deleted chat box still opens up on my screen every time.

I mainly use fb business & simply clicking my on messages in my browser while attending to other things on my business page is the easiest way to do things but this old chat constantly opening up instead of my latest message is driving me mad.

Any ideas as to how I can get rid of it once & for all?

Cheers :)

Related:

4 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Jan 16, 2024 at 07:28 AM

Hi,

It's a bug that mark old messages as new. Facebook already experienced such issue in the past. Did you try archiving the chat to see if that prevents it from reappearing? You can also report this bug to Facebook by selecting your profile in the top right > Help & support > Report a problem.

Good luck

glock339 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday January 16, 2024 Status Member Last seen January 16, 2024
Jan 16, 2024 at 07:46 AM

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I forgot to mention in my OP that the first thing I tried was to archive the chat before I tried all the other things I did mentioned.

I think I will have to try the Help/Support link, I've never tried using it before & must admit always presumed there'd be little response but I will give it a go.

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891 > glock339 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday January 16, 2024 Status Member Last seen January 16, 2024
Jan 16, 2024 at 07:56 AM

Facebook may get back to you only if they need more info. Otherwise, you can check the status of your report in your support inbox.

I've checked my support inbox & there's no record of me messaging fb help at the start of this week about this problem so I submitted it again but still no record shows in my inbox unfortunately.

I don't think I'll be holding my breath.

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Jan 25, 2024 at 09:28 AM

It depends on the type of issue that has been reported I think. But even if there's no ticket in your support inbox, they should process your report anyway.

Fingers crossed!!!

Update if anyone with the same problem was wondering how this turned out for me, drumroll: 

Absolutely nothing as I predicted. No response whatsoever from fb & no records of me submitting this problem to them twice.

Looks like I'm just stuck with this anomaly, oh joy.

Feb 7, 2024 at 04:58 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear that the issue is still not resolved...

I have another suggestion. Log out of your account on all your devices. Clear the cache of your browsers and also on the Facebook apps (uninstall and reinstall the app to clear the cache on your iPhone).

Next, log in to the Facebook website only on your computer. Delete that chat and make sure to select the option to delete it permanently.

Log out and log back in. If the chat doesn't reappear, you can log in on another device and see if that chat is really gone forever. If not, repeat the steps once again and try deleting (for yourself) all messages in the chat before deleting it completely.

Let me know how it goes.

Hi thanks for the suggestion I really do appreciate it. 

Unfortunately I have already deleted the chats with this person & the person doesn't even show up on the INBOX menu on the left hand side so I'm not able to use the 3 dot menu to delete the chat again.

When I open messenger in a browser, there's just a completely blank page where the messages from that person used to be since I deleted them & as I say their profile doesn't show up in the INBOX to the left.

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry trying to quickly reply to a clients message I'll open messenger & just start typing the reply before realising I'm actually typing into this annoying now dead chat yet again! Luckily I have only actually pressed send once in all the years this has been going on.

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891 > glock339
Feb 9, 2024 at 07:18 AM

Does the same happen with the Messenger app on your phone?

glock339 > HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024
Updated on Feb 9, 2024 at 12:13 PM

No it's doesn't happen in the app on phone or laptop, just when viewing in a browser & I've tried safari, Chrome, Chrome incognito etc.

I'm know some people would say just use the app on your laptop, I have tried this & it really doesn't gel with my workflow as I don't like constantly bouncing from fb on my browser to the messenger app (plus yet another window/app constantly open on my small macbook screen is a hassle) so I always just end up viewing my fb messages in a new tab... & seeing this annoying (now empty) message thread