404 errors are driving me to the nut house.!!

Solved/Closed
Rocky30741 - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:47 PM
 Rocky30741 - Aug 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Hello, ok here is the dumest question in the world. My IE 8 will not allow me to go to some websites,such as google or others. Here is my problem it keeps giving me a "404 ERROR PAGE NOT FAOUND"...so then I hit the refresh and it is still there...grrrr. i have tried all that i no what to do..now I come unto the GODS of techs. please help a idiot like me to fix this pc...i am running xp pro/ ie 8/ service pak 4 ...just remebered something else when i go to download something like a SP it tells me i need another one,? DUH that is what i am trying to download

Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Aug 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM
PROBLEM:host file has been hijacked

Step 1:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970908/how-to-use-microsoft-easy-fix-solutions

Run this fixit to reset hosts

but most of the time this is not going to fix IT

Step 2:

GO Here

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Hosts files will be hidden normally.

Click on tools -folders options-click on the view tab-scroll down
now select show hidden files and uncheck ''hide protected operating system files''

this should make your hosts file visible

Right click on your hosts file -properties-uncheck the read only option

Now try to open hosts file and remove unwanted entries.

You can have look here,how a clean hosts file should be for specific OS

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

YOU cant UNCHECK THE read only option most of the times,you may receive ACCESS DENIED error

open command prompt as administrator and run these two commands

cd C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

cacls hosts /p Everyone:F

press y after this command,now you can uncheck the read only option,edit hosts file and remove unwanted entries.

STEP 4:

HIJACK THIS from trend micro can also be used
wow this worked like a charm....it was a little hairy but i did it so "THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP"!!!!. Your the best place when a idiot like me has a problem with his pc......