Microsoft Excel - Timesheet Help

Closed
Gaktog - Oct 15, 2011 at 08:55 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Oct 18, 2011 at 01:31 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could please help me with a problem I've been having, I would be greatful. I want to send info from one worksheet to another in Microsoft Excel. I know how to use the function =sheet!a1 in order to grab it, but I was wondering if I can put a formula in the sheet that i want to grab from, and send it to another sheet.
I am creating a time sheet for my work, and I want to have a daily attendance sheet including everyone who works there, and all days of the pay period. I want any info put into there sent to each individuals personal time sheet. Right now I have it so each individuals time sheet is grabbing the info from the main daily attendance sheet.
The problem I am coming across is when I add a new employee to the main sheet, everyone's rows change and the individual sheets are grabbing from the wrong cells.
So my question is, is it possible to send info from one sheet to another, instead of grabbing info?
Thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated!

Gaktog
Related:

3 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Oct 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM
Could you post on some file share site a sample file and post back here the link to the file.
Hey,

Sorry about the delay, was at work all day. here is a link to what I'm trying to do!

http://www.mediafire.com/?cru3ldzhh9hzx41

So basically the first worksheet is the daily attendance, and after I input it in, it will send the values into each individuals time sheet for the pay period. I think I am going to run across problems once I add more employee's though so I want to put a code if possible from the first worksheet that sends it to the other sheets, instead of putting the code in the individual work sheets grabbing the info.

Once again thanks and I'm grateful for your help!!!
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Oct 16, 2011 at 06:34 AM
For some reason, your file is crashing on me. However for the short time that it was up, I am wondering if Access would be a better fit for you. If you have Access, have you considered using that
If you do want to stay on excel, one thing that i would suggest is that have that transfer to other sheets "on demand basis" rather than having it automatically but that would be via macro. If you want to stay away from the macro, then you initial idea of having each sheet grap information from main sheet is more feasible. Basic idea of that formula would be to see the sheet name, see the data, based on that grap the information from the main sheet. However there is a side effect of it might slow down excel if there are just thousands and thousands of rows
Again, i see best fit for you case Access
Thanks for your input Riz. I have never used access nor did I know anything about it until you mentioned it and I looked it up online. I'm always up for learning new things so I'll have to read some tutorials on it and learn how it works! And I was going to have a template sheet in excel and copy it every pay period because I was worried about it slowing down. Anyways Thanks again for the help! I'm sure it will be more what I was looking for!
Oct 17, 2011 at 06:29 AM
Well if you have not used access before than may be stay away from it.
So what is the plan at the end of the year, or even at the end of the month ? Do you plan to throw away that data and start new ? or do you plan to keep adding months. Also one other thing you may have to consider is, do you have access already installed. Some flavors of Mircrosoft office does not come with it, About slowing down of excel, it is a valid concern but if there are just thousands of rows.
I offered to help out my company because they have been using hand written time sheets, and they have been complaining about having to add up everyone's hours each pay period by hand. So I am not really concerned about end of the year, it's mainly just twice a month.
I do have access on my computer already, I was messing around with it a little bit last night.
As for adding months, I made it so whatever dates that get typed in on the daily attendance work sheet automatically get entered into everyone's individual time sheet. So basically what I was thinking when I created it, is to make a template sheet, and for each pay period they just copy the template and name it whatever pay period we are on.
So for now the idea I was doing isn't too bad, but my main concern is the new hire problem, where I'm going to have to change everyone's individual time sheets and what cells they are grabbing from.
again, Thanks for all the input Riz, I really appreciate it!
Oct 18, 2011 at 01:31 PM
In that case
create a table that mimics your main sheet. Then you would be creating one report that would mimic your "user" report.