Brand new built machine does not power up

Closed
Brian - Dec 2, 2011 at 02:05 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 2, 2011 at 03:49 PM
Hello,

Hey, all. Just built my new computer, not my first mind you. After I connected everything, I pushed the power button. All the fans (CPU, top back and front, PSU, and graphics card) and all the LEDs flashed on for about a second but nothing more. Unplugging and trying again produces the same result. Everything is brand new in this machine.

CPU-AMD Phenom II 6-core
Graphics-GeForce GTS 250
PSU-Corsair GS600
MB-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
HD-Seagate 250gig
RAM-2X4gig Corsair XMS3

I have done a "dirty test" on the PSU and found that it does power up the fans and LEDs continuously. I am at a loss of what else or how else I can check to see what is failing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 2, 2011 at 03:49 PM
This could be a CPU problem, motherboard problem or BIOS problem. If you bought the MB and CPU from the same dealer I would return both. The BIOS should work with the 6-core CPU. But they might have put the wrong BIOS chip in the MB.
If you can find an older generation AMD CPU you should test the MB with it and try a BIOS upgrade/update.

It's also not unheard of to have a DOA CPU or MB.

I once had a new power supply that would not work with my current build. I swapped it with another computer and they both worked. Returned it to the new computer and it still did not work. I just gave up and used the older supply.

Good Luck