How to determine cell value in Excel column [Solved/Closed]

-
 Nick -
Hello,

Sorry the title is really vague, it's hard to describe with a limited number of characters.

I have a column (C) which contains a full list of 250 methods. In column D, is each method's corresponding ID value.

Column A, is a shorter list of methods (all of which appear somewhere in column C). For each of the methods in column A, I would like to retrieve the associated ID in column D based on the matching method (or cell value) in column C. Ideally, I would like to store this ID in column B.

Table layout:

[A: Short list of methods] | [B: Method ID] | [C: Full method list ] | [D: Method ID]

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your time!

Cheers
Nick

3 replies

Registration date
Sunday June 14, 2009
Status
Contributor
Last seen
July 30, 2015
does not the value in A in a row pertain to the value in C in the same row. in that case why do you want D value in B. even if you want you can type in B column
=D(the row number).

some more clarification and examples are required
Hi venkat1926,

Unfortunately the value in A does now match the same row value for C.

Here is a screenshot of my Excel document: http://i.imgur.com/PfgAF.jpg

Cheers
Nick
Registration date
Sunday June 14, 2009
Status
Contributor
Last seen
July 30, 2015
sorry the entries in the columns are long. so simple jpg image is not useful at least to me. Unless I can copy the data in my excel sheet I am not able to even try to solve the problem. you can just highlight the first ten rows and hit control+c and in your reply paste it (control+v). then it will be possible.

meanwhile if some body has given a solution it is ok

There is no facility in this newsgroup to post a sheet in the thread. but you can upload the workbook in a third party web page e.g. speedyshare.com.
I have found a solution, thanks for your efforts venkat1926.

If you are curious or to help other people, the formula I needed was:

=INDEX(D:D,MATCH(A2,C:C,0))

Worked like a charm.

Cheers