How to determine cell value in Excel column

Solved/Closed
Nick - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM
 Nick - Feb 20, 2012 at 03:14 AM
Hello,

Sorry the title is really vague, it's hard to describe with a limited number of characters.

I have a column (C) which contains a full list of 250 methods. In column D, is each method's corresponding ID value.

Column A, is a shorter list of methods (all of which appear somewhere in column C). For each of the methods in column A, I would like to retrieve the associated ID in column D based on the matching method (or cell value) in column C. Ideally, I would like to store this ID in column B.

Table layout:

[A: Short list of methods] | [B: Method ID] | [C: Full method list ] | [D: Method ID]

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your time!

Cheers
Nick

Related:

3 responses

venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Feb 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM
does not the value in A in a row pertain to the value in C in the same row. in that case why do you want D value in B. even if you want you can type in B column
=D(the row number).

some more clarification and examples are required
Hi venkat1926,

Unfortunately the value in A does now match the same row value for C.

Here is a screenshot of my Excel document: http://i.imgur.com/PfgAF.jpg

Cheers
Nick
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Feb 20, 2012 at 01:30 AM
sorry the entries in the columns are long. so simple jpg image is not useful at least to me. Unless I can copy the data in my excel sheet I am not able to even try to solve the problem. you can just highlight the first ten rows and hit control+c and in your reply paste it (control+v). then it will be possible.

meanwhile if some body has given a solution it is ok

There is no facility in this newsgroup to post a sheet in the thread. but you can upload the workbook in a third party web page e.g. speedyshare.com.
I have found a solution, thanks for your efforts venkat1926.

If you are curious or to help other people, the formula I needed was:

=INDEX(D:D,MATCH(A2,C:C,0))

Worked like a charm.

Cheers