Referencing Data from a New Worksheet

Closed
Josh - Feb 27, 2012 at 05:11 PM
 Josh - Apr 12, 2012 at 02:30 PM
Hello,

I am working with Excel 2007.
I know how to fill in a worksheet based on information from another worksheet. This is a simple enough task to do.
However, I am trying to make it so the worksheet will grab data from a worksheet that is not yet created.
Basically, as a new worksheet within the workbook is created, with the same format as another worksheet, I want to pull certain data from the worksheet and put it in the primary worksheet.
Example : The main worksheet will keep track of Goals, Wins and Loses of each team. There are 5 teams currently, but could add more in the future. There is a worksheet for each team that contains the Goals, Wins and Loses for each team. Each worksheet is formatted the same. I want to know if there is an automatic way to add a new team and worksheet without rewriting the main worksheet.

Thank you for your help.

2 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Feb 28, 2012 at 09:27 AM
Hi Josh,

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

When a new team is added in the main sheet a new sheet is created named after the team. Then the headers of another team's sheet is carried over.

Is it possible to upload (www.speedyshare.com) your workbook for a more detailed solution?

Also tell me if I understood you correctly.

Best regards,
Trowa
Trowa:
Actually, I want to be able to add a new worksheet. Then from that worksheet, update the main sheet with that information. Each worksheet (besides the main sheet) will have the same format. So, if I create a worksheet with headings of Team Name and League, then, ideally, the main page would auto-update with the Team Name, etc...from the new worksheet.
I hope I explained that a bit more clearly.
Thank you,
Josh
As I have thought about what I want to do with this workbook, I have refined my thought process a bit. I would like to include a button on the Main (1st) worksheet that would allow someone to add a worksheet. Each added worksheet would have the same format/layout. The worksheet name would be derived what is entered in cell B2 and C2 with a dash (-) between them. Then, certain information that has been entered on those added worksheets would be populated to the main worksheet and a 2nd worksheet. Also, in these added worksheets, I would like to have a button created that would allow someone to delete this worksheet (password required, just in case they hit the button by accident). In doing so, the information that was populated to the main and 2nd worksheets would then be deleted.
I hope this makes sense to someone and there is some help out there. As I have said before, I am a very inexperienced VBA coder. My limited knowledge is based on what I learned nearly 10 years ago about C++ programming and what I have "googled". I appreciate any and all suggestions and help that can be provided.
Thank you,
Josh
Maybe I should create an "Update" button for the additional worksheets, so there is a queue to update the main and 2nd sheets? In other words, after the user has typed/entered all the information to the created worksheet, click on "Update", and the information would be populated to the necessary sheets. Also, would this allow for future additions/deletions of data from additional sheets to be updated to the main and 2nd sheets?
Thank you,
Josh
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Mar 5, 2012 at 09:17 AM
Hi Josh,

Is it possible to upload your workbook (I'm working with Excel 2003, so make sure it's extention is .xls), without any personal infomation, to a site like www.speedyshare.com. Explain what you want in the file. Where you want which button and what they should do.

Best regards,
Trowa
TrowaD:

I appreciate your interest. I have uploaded the file
[code]http://speedy.sh/j44AH/Projects-and-Resources-Testing.xls/code
I've taken my original project and have made modifications to work for another instance, and that is what you are seeing in those files. What I would like to do with this workbook is :
1 - Take information that is entered into worksheet "ProjectA" and populate the fields in "Project List", "Resource List" and "Open Items".
2 - In worksheet "ProjectA", each time I enter an open item, it would then create the next row with same format (merged cells and borders) so that the next open item can be inserted. (As you can see, I have the code to format the next row, I just don't know how to continue it beyond that row)
- Also, I would like to see the rows of open items highlighted in yellow if the "Estimated Finish Date" is before Today's date and the "Status" is not Complete. (I have used the conditional format on the first row to illustrate it, but I don't think excel 03 is compatible, so the formula I used in 07 is "=AND($L$13<TODAY(),$J$13<>"Complete")")
3 - The "Open Items" worksheet would actually list the open items that do not display the status as completed (along with the conditional formatting). I am not sure if it would be better to do this automatically, or to place an "Update" button on the "ProjectA" sheet, just below the last entered open item?
4 - On the main page, there would be an "Add Project" button. This button would add a new worksheet.
5 - The new worksheet would have the same format as the "ProjectA" worksheet.
6 - Each "ProjectA"-like worksheet would also rename itself utilizing cells B2 and C2. Example: the "ProjectA" worksheet would be renamed "Company B-Type 1".
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Hi Josh, that is quite a list. So bear in mind that it will take some time.

I've started with point 1.1; copying data from "ProjectA" to "Project List".
Then point 1.2; copying data from "ProjectA" to "Resource List".
But I'm not sure what you want with that sheet.

For example: Rebecca is working on ProjectA, how would you like to see that on the "Resource List" sheet?
Would you like to color code it or put OK in the table or something else.

Here is your workbook, so you can commentate on the result from point 1.1.
I have created an additional button, since I couldn't work with the one you placed (odd?)
http://speedy.sh/d7XrA/Josh-Projects-and-Resources-Testing.xls

Best regards,
Trowa