Need macro to copy the searched data

Closed
Anandhakumar - Jun 1, 2012 at 01:55 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Dear Friends,

I am having a bug report. In that different developers will have a bug for each module. And each modules are in different sheet. What I want to do is In Module A i have to search for the Developer 1's Bug and put in separate sheet called Developer 1 Bugs. Again in the Module B have to search for the bugs for Developer 1 and put these bugs in Developer 1 Bugs sheet as appended data with sheet name.
Right now I am searching manually and copying the data and pasting in the separate sheet. I want this to automate. How to do this? please suggest me. Thanks in advance

With Regards,
K.Anandhakumar

5 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Hi Anandhakumar,

Let me see if I get this right.

You have a workbook/excel file with 3 sheets:
Module A
Module B
Developer 1 Bugs

Now you want to search sheets Module A and Module B for a specific word and when found copy data to the Developer 1 Bugs sheet.

If this is correct then:
What word or phrase are you looking for?
Is there a specific row or column this word/phrase can be found?
Which data (entire row or column or a specific cell(s)) would you like to copy?

Thanks and regards,
Trowa
Dear Trowa,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I have to copy the Sheet 1 data to Sheet 3. In Sheet 1 I am having the column "Bugs" and "Developer". I have to filter the bugs under developers. For example I will filter all the bugs of Developer 1's bug. Then I have to copy only filtered bugs to Sheet 3. Like wise I have to do it for Sheet 2 also. But while copying Developer 1's bugs of Sheet 2 should be append in Sheet 3 under Developer's 1 Bug.

With Regards,
K.Anandhakumar
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jun 5, 2012 at 08:56 AM
Sorry Anandhakumar, it's still not entirely clear to me.

Sheet1 and Sheet2 both contain the columns "Bugs" and "Developer" (Which column letters are we talking about?).

What is not clear to me is what kind of data are we looking for?

Something like this?:
Column A (Bugs) Column B (Developer)
Yes ---------------- Developer 1
No ----------------- Developer 2
No ----------------- Developer 1
Yes ---------------- Developer 2

And now you would like to move the rows containing Developer 1 which contain bugs?

You can also consider uploading your file using a filesharing site like www.speedyshare.com to clearify your query.
This way you can easily show how your sheets look like and how the result should be.

Best regards,
Trowa
Dear Trowa,

As per the request I have uploaded the file in speedyshare. You can find the file http://speedy.sh/Ag8JW/Test.xlsx

With Regards,
Anandhakumar

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jun 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Dear Anandhakumar,

I was surprised that I could open the file with Excel 2003 (forgot to mention).
Although I am missing some headers, I do got a clear idea of the layout.

Now I am wondering how you would like the macro to handle your request.

Some options to think about,
Option 1:
You will be asked for the developer's name.
Sheet "Admin" will search column G for the given name.
But only the rows with "No" in column J with be copied to sheet "Big Summary".
Do the same for sheet "QTP", only here the names are in column H and the "No" 's are in column K.

Option 2:
Instead of asked you would like to copy all developer's with "No" in column J/K.

Option 3:
You would like to copy all developer's with "No" in column J/K within the manual selection of rows you make.

Option 4:
You got a different idea for the macro.

Could you resave your file with the extention .xls and then reupload it? It would be nicer to work with.

Best regards,
Trowa