Hyperlinks do not work in IE9

Closed
Katt - Jun 1, 2012 at 08:28 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jun 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Within IE 9, hyperlinks do not work - especially within Gmail email. When clicked, a blank tab opens and goes nowhere. Sometimes (depending on the kind of link), a new tab does not even open, and a notice just indicating "error" shows up in the bottom left. The page remains the same as if nothing was ever clicked.

I have a Windows 7 - 64-bit system. I have tried ALL of the aforementioned suggestions. I've uninstalled (gone back to IE7), then built up through IE8, and upgraded to IE9. The same issue occurs. I"ve attempted multiple restore points.. which seems to do nothing at all.

It appears to be something very specific to IE.

I've been able to install Firefox, and that browser works perfectly. Yet, IE remains useless. I would think that if it was a toolbar issue - installing Firefox would apply the same settings for the possible offending toolbar and cause a similar reaction within Firefox, but this did not occur.

To me, that the error is isolated to IE would indicate a kind of registry issue - specific to IE, correct? Is it .dll related?

I've gone to Internet Options - reverted everything back to Default settings. Which did nothing.

I've very frustrated! Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Does anyone know what registry settings are used to configure hyperlinks specifically for IE? When I click on a link, what triggers the page to attempt to open? Is that a hyperlink setting within the built-in components of IE, or is that controlled by an IE specific registry option?

PLEASSSSSSSSE help!
Thank you!
Katt
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

First backup your registry.

Click on Start --> In search bar, type regedt32 and press Enter.

"Registry Editor" will be opened. Go to File --> Export --> Save the registry

backup with any name in your desired location.

Click on the below hyperlink "Fix" and download the file

Fix

Extract it --> If your IE9 is a 32 bit application then select the 32 bit (32on64) File

or else select the 64bit(64on64) File. The above fix works for IE9 also.

After applying the fix, reset the internet explorer settings.

Right-click on the "Internet Explorer" icon --> Properties --> Click on "Advanced"

tab --> Click on "Reset" button.

Good Luck

Good Luck