Computer boots, but screen is black

Closed
leiten - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Jean-François Pillou Posts 18707 Registration date Monday February 15, 1999 Status Webmaster Last seen February 16, 2023   - Jul 10, 2012 at 01:35 PM
Hello,

yesterday my computer worked fine for most of the day, until the evening, when i headed upstairs and shook the mouse for the amber light to go away. it did, turning black as per usual. i sat for about 3 hours total, waiting for it to load, but nothing came up. occasionally there would be a quick flash of white before it turned black again; these flashes are not unusual for me as i sometimes get them regularly. after 2 hours i pushed the monitor button again - no green or amber light, no flicker, nothing. i wait another hour - nothing.

eventually i decide to flick the power surge off. i turn it back on, press the computer on - i'm used to the clicks of my computer so i know that, indeed, the computer itself is perfectly fine. still, no logo and no light on the monitor, though.

the cords to the monitor seem to be connected firmly and properly.

i have a windows xp computer and a dell lcd monitor. any ideas?
Related:

1 response

Jean-François Pillou Posts 18707 Registration date Monday February 15, 1999 Status Webmaster Last seen February 16, 2023  
Jul 10, 2012 at 01:35 PM
Is it a laptop or desktop computer ?

Did you try with another screen / screen power cord ?