Problems booting from usb

Closed
hodei_cloud Posts 8 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2014 - Dec 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Dec 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Hello,
I had a lot of problems booting from a usb, and i dont know why.

For example i boot windows 7 making all the things to boot it, i make the usb bootable with ms-dos and later i extract the iso image to the usb.

Sometimes the sistem run well and windows 7 boot, but others dont. I dont know why exactly i have to try so many times. (Sometimes the pc dont read the usb)

I try also other programs to make the iso booteable, but all make the same result, and also i try with other windows 7 iso files.

Sorry for my english

Related:

5 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 22, 2012 at 01:29 AM
Hi hodei_cloud,

Try using "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" and see if you can make a bootable USB with the Windows 7 ISO. You can download it from here:

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

If you need steps on how to use this tool, you might find the below mentioned link useful:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

Please reply if you have any further questions.
hodei_cloud Posts 8 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2014
Dec 22, 2012 at 08:36 AM
Thank you for the answer, but i also try this program (i tried now too) and most of the times it says "disk read error". Maybe its a problem of the pc reading the usb? Sometimes reads well, but not always.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 25, 2012 at 04:47 AM
Hi hodei_cloud,
Try the steps mentioned below and see if any steps are missing when you create it yourself:

1. Plug in your USB Flash Drive
2. Open a command prompt as administrator (Right click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator" (Or type cmd in Start menu search box and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter).
3. Find the drive number of your USB Drive by typing the following into the Command Prompt window:

a. diskpart
b. list disk

4. The number of your USB drive will be listed. You'll need this for the next step. In the following example, it is assumed that the USB flash drive is disk 1.
5. Format the drive by typing the following. (Replace the number "1" with the specific number of your disk):

a. select disk 1
b. clean
c. create partition primary
d. select partition 1
e. active
f. format fs=NTFS (The Format process will take a few minutes)
g. assign
h. exit

6. Now you should have a formatted USB flash drive ready to be made bootable.
7. Insert your Windows 7 DVD into your drive.
8. Change directory to the DVD's boot directory where bootsect is situated:

a. d:
b. cd d:\boot

9. Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a Vista/7 image. assuming that your USB flash drive has been labeled disk F:\ by the computer:

a. bootsect /nt60 f:

10. Close the command prompt window

Do reply with results.
hodei_cloud Posts 8 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2014
Dec 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM
I usually make it with the command prompt window, by the way, its important to format to ntfs and not fat32?? I once made it with ntfs, but i did not do the final steps.
Can you tell me with more details (the 8th and 9th steps) for what are the commands. I suppose that "D" is the dvd and "F" the usb directory, right?

It matters to do the same to boot windows xp iso?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Hi hodei_cloud,

Apart from other benefits of NTFS file system, two most important are:

1. NTFS is more reliable, especially for larger drives.
2. FAT32 has a file size limit of 4 GB. Which means you will not be able to move any files from and to your hard drive more than 4 GB in size.

Elaborating steps 8 and 9 further (assuming "D:" is the DVD Drive and "F:" is the Pen Drive)

1. Open a command prompt as administrator (Right click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator" (Or type cmd in Start menu search box and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter).
2. Insert Windows 7 DVD in your DVD drive (d: drive).
3. Type "d:" and hit Enter.
4. Type "CD boot" and hit Enter.
5. You will see "D:\Boot>".
6. Now type: "bootsect /nt60 F:" and hit Enter.
7. Close the Command Prompt window.

Open the DVD drive (d: drive) in Windows Explorer. Copy the entire content of the Windows 7 DVD to the pen drive.

This will not work with Windows XP iso. You can check the below mentioned link for steps on making a bootable Windows XP USB key:

https://ccm.net/computing/windows/843-create-a-bootable-usb-drive/

Please revert for clarification.