This article will show you how to update the firmware of your PS3 manually with a USB and in safe mode.
You can download and transfer the update file (PS3UPDAT.PUP) using a compatible storage device such as Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, a USB key (FAT32), or PSP.
How to install a PS3 update via a USB key?
- A USB key formatted in FAT32.
- Create a PS3 folder at the root of your USB key.
- Open the PS3 folder and create an UPDATE subfolder.
- NB: The folder names are case-sensitive.
- Download the latest update (4.70 24 February 2015) on your PC.
- Transfer the PS3UPDAT.PUP file to the UPDATE folder.
- Connect the USB to your PS3.
- Go to Settings > System Update, then Update via Storage Media.
- Select the USB key and launch the update procedure.
How to update PS3 with USB in safe mode?
- Download the latest update on your PC.
- Next, transfer the PS3UPDAT.PUP file to the UPDATE folder.
- Plug your controller into the PS3 via a USB cable.
- Put your PS3 on standby.
- Next, press and hold the power button - the system has to turn off again.
- Once this is done, press and hold the power button again. You will hear a single beep , and you can release it when you hear a double beep.
- Press the PS button on your controller.
- Select System Update from the list with the controller.
- Connect your USB to the PS3.
- Press the Start and Select buttons of the controller at the same time.
- Next, you have to wait (you may get a blue screen) and then follow the on-screen instructions.