How to mount a partition in ubuntu

Closed
JohnWayne - May 10, 2008 at 02:09 PM
 stat - Jun 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM
Hi I am trying to mount an additional harddrive in ubuntu hardy heron, its already formated to a ext3 filesystem and is /dev/sda1 however everytime i type sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 it mounts but doesnt let me write to the drive... is there a proper way of mounting or am I typing something wrong?
Related:

3 responses

I would guess this is about file permissions. Check the ownership of the drive. If it is owned by root you will not be able to write to it. Likewise the drive/partition should have read write privileges for your user name if you want to write to it.
no its a secondary drive on sata1 sorry, I somehow got the bright idea to mount it to / not thinking then when i sudo umount -l /dev/sda1 / everything went wrong as you can guess... So im working on it at work and I had to reboot so I wont be able to do anything till I get home.. but thanks for the fast response.
If it's the drive you are currently using for the OS you can't mount it. You should use the Live CD and run from that and then mount it. ;)