Sony Vaio VPCSA Graphics Card Problem. Stuck in Basic + Other Is

Closed
Caskla Posts 3 Registration date Monday April 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2013 - Apr 15, 2013 at 06:09 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Hello,
Yesterday, my computer started acting up. It's visual style is stuck in Basic. My computer has always been able to use the Aero themes, but they just won't work anymore. When I troubleshoot, it gives me the errors: "Color Depth is set too low" and "Desktop Window Manager is disabled". I tried uninstalling and re-installing my graphics drivers to my AMD Radeon HD 6630M, but that didn't work.

Another weird thing has happened. I use a VGA cord to connect my laptop to a monitor. It's set so that the mobile display is disabled. I have never had problems with this. Now, when I move my cursor over to the right of my screen, it acts as if there is another display connected. I can move windows onto it, pull them back, and move my cursor over to it. It's just nonexistent. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Related:

4 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 17, 2013 at 01:25 AM
Hi Caskla,

The symptoms from both the issues arise most likely from Drivers. Indeed you did the right thing by uninstalling and then re-installing the drivers. However, the driver leftovers can affect the stability and start-up of your system. It is recommended that you remove any traces of existing video drivers from your computer using "Driver Sweeper". You can download "Driver Sweeper" by clicking here. Additionally, I would recommend downloading and updating the drivers from "AMD" website. The direct link for "AMD Catalyst(TM) Notebook Display Driver" is here. If your Operating System is other than Windows 7,64 bit use "AMD Mobility Radeon(TM) Driver Verification Tool" to find the correct drivers.

Do reply with results.
Caskla Posts 3 Registration date Monday April 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2013
Apr 17, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Hey Zohaib,

Thank you for your reply. I did as you said, but I did have one issue with getting the drivers. The AMD website says, "The following notebooks are not compatible with this tool: Notebooks equipped with switchable graphics Toshiba® notebooks Sony® VAIO® notebooks Panasonic® notebooks." I happen to have a Sony VAIO laptop, so this didn't work for me. Instead, I got the driver from the Sony website. I did a driver sweep, and then I installed the drivers as you said. I restarted my laptop as directed to from the software, and when it booted back up, I still had the same issues.
Is there anything else you think might fix this?
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Hi Caskla,

If you look at the bottom of AMD webpage there is a link for "Sony VAIO notebooks", it directs you to the drivers page of Sony VAIO website. The drivers available here are most updated drivers, please download the same. You can click here to directly access the page. Select the exact system model and then try to download and update the drivers.

Do reply with results.
Caskla Posts 3 Registration date Monday April 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2013
Apr 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I apologize, Zohaib.
My comment must not have been clear enough. When I said I got the drivers from the Sony website, I meant I went to the AMD webpage and clicked on the link that directed me to the Sony VAIO website.
Apr 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Hi Caskla,

Thanks for the clarification and my apologies for repeating the steps. If this issue is happening because of the software problem, a few last steps that I would suggest are as follows:

1. In case, the settings have been changed in the "Catalyst Control Center", please try to changing them. You can find steps on how to change the settings in "Catalyst Control Center" by clicking here.
2. If this doesn't fix the problem, try creating another user with Administrator Rights and try logging in as the new user. This will eliminate any possible changes in the Operating System/Registry/System Files of the original user.

Do reply with results.