Dell 1120 power problems

Closed
bernieheere Posts 4 Registration date Saturday June 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2013 - Jun 15, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jun 20, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Hello,

My dell laptop wont turn on. With the AC adapter an battery installed, the power led comes on and than begins flashing rapidly. After a few seconds, it repeats this sequence and then shuts off. I've tried this with memory installed and removed, and I tried another AC adapter, and nothing changes.

The display never lights up, and the fan doesn't spin. I also tried it with the hard disk removed and no change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Related:

7 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jun 17, 2013 at 06:07 AM
Hi bernieheere,

What is the color of the power button light (i.e., amber, white, etc.)? Do you hear any beeps when the Memory Modules are removed and you try to power on the computer? Are you able to power on the computer only on or only on AC Adapter?

Note: Removing the memory modules requires you to open the computer cover(s). Before you open the computer chassis ensure all power connections including battery and external devices are removed. After removing all of this, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to release any Flea Power in the computer. Preferably take a technician's help.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
bernieheere Posts 4 Registration date Saturday June 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2013
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
The flashing sequence that I get is white. This happens with the battery installed and I plug in the adapter - when it should be simply charging the battery. Once this sequence completes, if I press the power button there'll be an single amber flash before it starts the flashing white sequence again.

Unfortunately, I don't have any way of testing the battery to know if it has any charge, but I suspect that it's discharged, since there hasn't been any response without the adapter plugged in. I suspect the problem might be one of the power control chips associated with the adapter, but I haven't found a schematic for the MB yet.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jun 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Hi bernieheere,

Try these steps and reply with results:

1. Remove all external peripherals and power source from the laptop and "Drain Flea Power". To "Drain Flea Power" after removing the AC Adapter and Battery press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
2. Connect the AC Adapter only and power on the computer, observe if you hear any beep codes or any other light indicators.
3. If no change is observed, repeat step 1 and remove the components in the following order:
a. Memory
b. Keyboard
c. Hard Drive
4. Repeat step 2 and check if there is any change or computer exhibits memory beeps.
5. If beeps are heard connect only one memory module and perform step 2 again.
6. If the computer seems to complete POST and boot to Windows try connecting the keyboard and Hard Drive one by one. If the computer boots to Windows normally the issue is fixed. Else if the computer still not able to complete POST, try to isolate which of the remaining two components is causing no POST.

The above steps are for isolating if any of the listed CRUs (hard drive, keyboard and memory) are causing any issues. If the issue persists please feel free to respond with the exact symptoms exhibited by the machine.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
bernieheere Posts 4 Registration date Saturday June 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2013
Jun 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Nothing happens with this system unless the Battery is installed. No response to the power button with just the AC adapter plugged in. this doesn't change even with the memory, kybd, and disk removed. I even unplugged the touchpad. It might be worth unplugging the display, and I might try that later.

There are no beeps!

I suspect that this system might come up on the battery if I could get it charged, but I don't have access to another system to charge it, or another compatible battery. I'll see if I can't find a way to get it charged.

It would be nice to have a schematic for this board, but I couldn't find on on-line. If anyone has a link to it I would appreciate it.

Thnx, Bernie

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jun 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Hi Bernie,

Sure, you can try charging the battery or trying a known good battery.

All disassembly/re-assembly instructions are present in the Service Manual of the laptop. You can view/download the Service Manual by clicking here.

Please reply if you have any further queries.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Thanks for trying to help!

I suspect that the problem with the system is that one of the power switching MOS FETs is open, but without q schematic diagram, I can't trace the circuit down to determine where the problem is. The system obviously detects that both the adapter and the battery are plugged in, and the power button works. The flashing power light tells me that the adapter power is not getting to the battery to charge it, and also not getting to the processor to allow it to boot up.

I did DL the service manual, but didn't fine it very useful. This is really an easy LT to disassemble and pull the MB. Only about a dozen screws screws!

Just very frustrating to NOT have access to the necessary documentation!

Bernie
Jun 20, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Hi Bernie,

Schematic of the Motherboard in this machine is not available for download from Dell. The Inspiron 1120/M101z incorporates the RS880M Chipset. You might want to check with "AMD Support" for more details about this chipset.