My dell desktop wont go to start screen to login

Closed
lori843 Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday October 16, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 22, 2013 - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Oct 22, 2013 at 09:16 PM
My Dell desktop computer won't go to start screen so I can login, sometimes it shows a black screen that says can't boot, no boot cd.Basically it stays on the welcome screen that says Dell in huge letters, can anyone help?? Thanks.
Related:

5 responses

This is exactly what the screen says: Boot from CD: no boot device available,press enter key to retry. Sata-0:installed Sata-1:installed Sata-4:none SAta-5:none. The screen is black with that message.^^ I press enter like it says but nothing happens. I can't get to any other screen, that's all I can see. I'm in the USA.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Oct 18, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Hi lori843,

This error indicates that the computer is not able to find a bootable device. As suggested in my first response, are you able to enter BIOS (System Setup) or run Diagnostics? Hopefully it should because the issue is with the boot device rest of the hardware seem to be working fine. Please reply with the status of the Hard Drive in BIOS and the results of the diagnostics.

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
lori843 Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday October 16, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 22, 2013
Oct 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I can't get past that screen that's black and says what I typed above. It says press enter but it won't leave that screen. I've pressed other buttons and it still won't leave that screen, so if it won't leave that screen how can I run diagnostics like your saying??
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Oct 21, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Hi lori843,

This screen appears after the Dell Logo is shown on the screen. Please reply with the exact System Model Number of your Dell Desktop so that I can suggest you the next steps.

<ital.> To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.</ital.>
lori843 Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday October 16, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 22, 2013
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Model # DCMF
Oct 22, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Hi lori843,

"Model # DCMF" doesn't identify any of our products. You must have one of the following lines of products:

1. Alienware
2. OptiPlex
3. Studio Hybrid
4. Dimension
5. Precision Workstation
6. Studio XPS
7. Inspiron
8. XPS
9. Vostro
10. Studio

If you are not able to locate the System Model Number corresponding to one of the above lines of product, reply with the System Service Tag Number of the computer and the Name or the Registered User of the computer. As this is confidential information I request you to private message me the service tag of the system, registered owners name, address, and primary/alternate contact numbers.

You can use the below mentioned video to locate the service tag:

What is a Dell Service Tag and How Do I Find It?

To private message, click my user name Zohaib R and click "Write a message".

Kindly wait for reply in the forum after sending the private message.

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 17, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Hi lori843,

Follow the steps below and check if these steps are helpful:

1. Disconnect external peripherals (Like Printers, scanners, USB media/ Hard Drive, optical media) to check if any of the external devices are causing the No boot.
2. Confirm that the Hard Drive is recognized in BIOS. If yes, follow next step. If NO, load BIOS defaults and re-seat the Hard Drive. If still not detected, the issue is with the Hard Drive or the Hard Drive Cable. If you are comfortable, swap the Hard Drive Data Cable with Optical Drive and vice versa to confirm the cable is not damaged.
3. Try running Dell Diagnostics. Click here to find steps on how to run Dell Diagnostics.
4. If the tests return any error code, please add the exact text of the error code in your reply.

Please do write back to us.

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:38 PM
I think I commented in the forum instead of to you, please read what I wrote below