Free software to make a round template to fit an 8 inch cake

Solved/Closed
tyler4402 Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday October 23, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2014 - Apr 4, 2014 at 01:02 PM
tyler4402 Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday October 23, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2014 - Apr 5, 2014 at 07:41 PM
Hello all, I want to find some free software so I can make a round template to fit an 8 inch cake, with the ability to add text boxes in order to write in, prferably with the feature of bending the text round the circle and then sending the design to a printer and printing to a blank A4 in order to transfer the text and design in icing onto the cake, is there sutch a program out there.
Regards Robert.
Related:

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Apr 4, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Hey good question.

Is this for a one time project, or are your trying to profit from this as well? The reason I am asking is because if it is a one time project, then get a free trial of a high end graphics program. As what you are asking is well beyond, in my opinion, Basic Design tools. Any of the Adobe products can satisfy your needs.

I am certain that you can subscribe to their software now, so join for a month, and see if it works. If it does, then continue to pay for it. If it doesn't then stop the subscription. Please remember, that if this is for profit, then there is such a thing as "the cost of doing business!" It is not always cheap.

Most importantly, Have fun!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
tyler4402 Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday October 23, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2014
Apr 4, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Many thanks AC3, I am not into this type of program so I need a prog name to go for, and no its not for profit, I have made a surprise cake for my lodge and I want to decorate it with the name and number in coloured icing, I did make a template by hand and wrack of eye and I though that there must be an easier way than this :-) so if I can find a program to help make a better template which I can save to a folder I will probably make another for our 100 yr anniversary in 7 yrs time, if I'm still about, that is :-)
Blocked Profile
Apr 4, 2014 at 07:57 PM
I am always happy to help!

I use elements, from adobe. it can be found at the follwoing link:https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html

The text tool is very simple, as you can see here, the image can be to actual size, and scale:

Ok, so know we have a scale cake!

Then you add in the next layer, or element!

So, after you pres the add layer buton you end up with(after renaming it to text):

If you double click on the name, you can change it so as not to confuse during producing the document!
Then, Click on the horizontal text tool. Please always be aware of what Layer/Element you are working on. You always want to keep them seperate!

Notice in the above picture, the type of presentation is an ARC. Now we just have to scale it, by dragging a CORNER to the right size.

After the right size, we then change the angle of the arc, as In:

Have fun and keep at it. You will have the trial period to play with it. Once you have one, save it with SAVE AS (change it to something beside the adobe program) , and select the element you wish, and make the change, and save it as again!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
tyler4402 Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday October 23, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2014
Apr 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM
My thanks for your help AC3 just what I needed that will do fine, and thanks for taking the time to send images and instructions without them I would be quite lost, best regards Robert.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 5, 2014 at 05:12 PM
Mark!

Wow! I am totally impressed!

You deserve one of your own.
Apr 5, 2014 at 07:41 PM
:-)