so I have a HP laptop... windows 8.1 and yesterday a red color cross came on my volume icon.
I have tried the following :
1) went to services and tried to see if the audio was on automatic and running... YES it is
2) went into device manager, clicked on sound - and tried updating drivers and ALL upto date
3) tried the ''add legacy hardware'' but it did not work out
4) DOWNLOADED SOFTWARE from the the website it self and still no luck.
5) even tried a restore point to a few days ago and nothing worked
6) even tried the scan for hardware changes and nothing worked.
I actually ugraded from windows 7 to windows 8.1.... here is thing... it was working pefectly on windows 7 and then itself it stopped working... I tried everything as i mentioned above... frustrated i tried upgrading to 8.1...