CMOS location

Closed
VeasnaYim Posts 180 Registration date Tuesday June 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM
VeasnaYim Posts 180 Registration date Tuesday June 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 - Jun 26, 2014 at 03:53 PM
CMOS.
Dear All, I come back again about CMOS, i always see that BIOS is a chip containing a firmware to make hardware interact with each other.

But regarding CMOS, I saw only a CMOS battery but i didn't know where is located on motherboard? can you explain me?

4 responses

Blocked Profile
Jun 26, 2014 at 01:23 PM
It looks like a coin. Stand by and I will upload a picture of it.

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
VeasnaYim Posts 180 Registration date Tuesday June 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 8
Jun 26, 2014 at 02:04 PM
I saw that and thanks so much. So CMOS is a chip or no ? because i didn't see it's like a chip just a battery instead and unlike BIOS i saw it's clearly it is a chip.

The same topic, I still wonder that always in mind,
CMOS and BIOS working together, So can you give me the chart or more explain, how do they work, which one is working first???

Please forgive me for my english.
Thanks.
Blocked Profile
Jun 26, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Here is the easiest definition I can find:

Definition: CMOS (complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor) is the term usually used to describe the small amount of memory on a computer motherboard that stores the BIOS settings.
The CMOS is usually powered by a CR2032 cell battery. Most CMOS batteries will last the lifetime of a motherboard (up to 10 years in most cases) but will sometimes need to be replaced. Incorrect or slow system date and time and loss of BIOS settings are major signs of a dead or dying CMOS battery.

Also Known As: complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor, non-volatile BIOS memory

Examples:
"The time on my computer kept resetting to 1969! I finally figured out that the CMOS battery was dead and needed to be replaced. That was an easy fix!"
VeasnaYim Posts 180 Registration date Tuesday June 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 8
Jun 26, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Now I understand and thanks so much my Dear.
Regards,