Desktop PC wont turn on

Closed
monstersinc Posts 2 Registration date Friday June 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 28, 2014 - Jun 27, 2014 at 01:44 AM
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 - Jun 30, 2014 at 01:18 AM
Hello,

My computer will not turn on. I have for the last 18 months had an issue with my pc when I switch the power off at the wall and then switch it back on, the PC wont start for about 15 minutes even though the power supply light is on.

I figured it may have been a faulty capacitor that needed to charge up enough to power the PC, however it now does not start at all. I have checked all plugs to ensure they are connected correctly, and I also made sure the RAM was connected properly.

The PC is quite old, I am using the following hardware:

Power supply- Codegen 825W ATX 12v

Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 (DDR2)

RAM- Corsair Dominator 2GB (x2)

Hard Disc- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1TB)

Graphics- GeForce GTX 285

Processor- Intel Quad Core q9650

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Related:

3 responses

nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Jun 27, 2014 at 02:17 AM
Here are the few things you could perform to ensure yourself:

1. Clean out the dust from CPU case. Remove RAM from the board to clean out the dust from it too.
2. Cross check the CPU Fan and see if it's working properly. As you've said that your computer is quiet old, CPU fan can perform slower than it actually does and thus, prevents the normal startup operation of your CPU.

If above steps yields no result, I'd better recommend you to replace RAM with new one. Again, it would be better to seek for professional help if the issue still persists.
monstersinc Posts 2 Registration date Friday June 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 28, 2014
Jun 28, 2014 at 04:50 AM
I actually pulled the RAM out and cleaned them, also cleaned the CPU fan and heat sink, and I replaced the motherboard battery which turned out to be flat.

However the PC still would not turn on, however after 10 mins with it turned on....then off, then on for about 10 secs, then off then on and booted up and ran as if no problems. However it seems that the same old issue I have been having before is still there....the PSU needing to "warm up" for 10 minutes before it will actually power up.

Still not too sure why this is the case.
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Jun 30, 2014 at 01:18 AM
Clearly, the problem is relavent to power supply or old degraded hardware equipments which needs to be upgraded at the earliest. If the PSU overheating is the case, try to follow the steps mentioned in the below tutorial:

https://ccm.net/faq/2947-cpu-is-overheating

See if you may able to get is resolved. If not, consider seeking for professional help or take your CPU to nearest computer repair shop.

Thanks!!