Does wireless work anymore on XP?

Closed
ConfusedXPuser Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday August 13, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2014 - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM
johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 - Aug 13, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Recently I was told that due to Microsoft making internet updates back in October 2012 that it caused all XP machines using wireless cards will not be able to wirelessly connect. I have not been able to connect via wireless with my dell d630 xp pro laptop ever since mid October of 2012. My card picks up networks but can never connect. I even replaced with a brand new identical card and still the same issue. I can hard wire and get online but cannot connect wirelessly. Can anyone offer a glimmer of hope and offer up some advice. My machine works perfectly and cannot see replacing just because of wireless issues. Help!!

I am asking now because every so often I browse to see if anything new relating to my issue appears and now I've decided to ask other pros out there. Thanks.
Related:

1 response

johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 14
Aug 13, 2014 at 09:29 PM
I have xp laptop and connects wireless to internet ok.

right click on wireless icon in tray.
wireless network connections will show, then right click on wireless network connection and you should see all properties of the wireless network connections.
in there you can configure the wireless adapter and check it is working and enabled.
Also in the connection items make sure the wireless driver is there in the list.

highlight internet protocol tcp/ip and click properties and set "obtain an ip address
automatically." and dns is set to automatically also.

If any of these setting are not in there then you won't connect to the wireless modem

you have to decide to let windows set up the wireless or you let the software used to install the wireless card setup the connection.