No internet after reinstall Win XP on 2006 Dell desktop

Closed
erincory Posts 1 Registration date Thursday August 14, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2014 - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 14, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Hello! I just reinstalled Win XP from the reboot cd on on 2006 Dell desktop for my 8Year old Son. He needs to be able to do some basic stuff on this computer, so we are starting with this. Yesterday, I had the internet connected and working fine on this machine. Since I wiped the hard-drive and reinstalled Win XP from the re-boot CD and Microsoft office 2007, I cannot get to the internet. We use ATT UVERSE and have an ATT wireless router, which is working fine, since I'm writing this from my MacBookPro, and he is hard-wired via ethernet cable to the router.

Help! How do I set up the internet connection? THANKS!

ERIN
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Aug 14, 2014 at 01:06 PM
It could be a driver issue or a firewall issue.

To check the network card driver start with:
1. Control Panel
2. click on Performance and Maint
3. click on System
4. click on Hardware
5. click on Device Manager
6. click on Network Adapters
If you get a yellow question mark then the network driver is missing.

The simplest way to update the drivers is to use your MAC to download a copy of SlimDrivers to a flash drive and use it to install the update pgm on the Windows PC. Just Google SlimDrivers for a download location. SlimDrivers will identify, download and install updated drivers for all devices on your computer. Just delay restarting your computer until ALL updates have been applied.

You will probably have hours of Microsoft updates to download and install after you have Internet access.

Good Luck