Browsers Suddenly Won't Open on Windows 7 Products

Closed
CindyChHa Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday October 29, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 30, 2014 - Oct 30, 2014 at 01:05 AM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Hi! Thank you in advance for considering my problem. Our Apple/Mac products are opening up the browsers and connecting to the network like a charm, but both Windows 7 Home & Pro simultaneously will have nothing to do with the browsers (the Pro is a desktop plugged directly to the cable). Chrome does nothing when I click on it and IE just flashes for a split second. Direct updating of drivers and downloading antivirus definitions work fine. And when I switch to XP mode in Pro, the browsers open right up and I have connectivity.

I've followed directions from a number of forums, including removing the Norton Suite, but all to no avail. Suspecting this might have something to do with recent Windows updates, I attempted to recover back to Oct 8th, but recovery failed, repeat, failed again, as did the other points I tried.

Now I need to vent (sorry!)...I've been on board with Microsoft since ME. I loved XP (I was able to get it on my last Dell at the very tail end when Vista had been out awhile) and felt kind of perturbed about their dumping it and forcing my hand to purchase another expensive OS that caused me to lose my favorite software programs. So this latest thing comes as a bitter pill. Meanwhile, my college student daughter has been singing the glories of her Mac for the last four years. I've snubbed my nose at her, but Apple updates their OS for free, only once did she have a problem and she took it to the Apple store and they fixed it right then and there, for free, making Apple forums like these completely unnecessary. When I can afford a new computer...I'm doing it, I'm changing sides.

In the meantime, I sure appreciate your help! thank you!
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM
DO you have a newtork location set up, like home, public or work? Some times windows 7 when joiing a new network, will not ask for network location. If you do not set one, the firewall will not allow routing of traffic.

Take a look at that first.

Let us know!