Random Shutdown

Closed
EN4X - Feb 7, 2015 at 02:17 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Hello,

My computer randomly shuts down, I checked CPU temperature, its always between 35-45C, there's no definite timing when the computer will shutdown, sometimes it shutdowns even before the boot screen comes, I'm sure its not CPU overheating problem(Applied new layer of thermal paste and temperature is always <45C) and Not OS problem also because the computer shutdowns even before it is started, I have no idea how do I troubleshoot the problem, what might be causing the problem?
Situations when the comp shut downs :
Browsing
Watching movies
Sometimes when it is idle
It doesn't cause me any problem when playing games/playing music

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 7, 2015 at 10:54 AM
This might be a memory issue. Try getting a live cd (or DVD) with memtest86+. If it comes up with errors, then it is time to change the RAM.

If errors are found and you have more than one stick of RAM, then test them all seporately. You might be able to limp along using just one stick.

Other causes could me death of the motherboard components. Do a visual check to see if there are any leeks from the capacitors or if they have rounded tops. The capacitors are the cylindrical components that can be found all over the place on motherboards and expansipn cards.

Another cause could be a bad "add on" component. Remove all unessential stuff - leaving if you can just the RAM, Hard drive, power supply and if it doesnt have a built in one, the graphics card. Unplug all external devices like printers, network cables and the like. Just leave in the mouse and keyboard. Add them again one at a time until the problem returns.

Good luck.

I really appreciate kudos points as a payment for solving issues :o)
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM
I forgot to mention that the memory test should be done by booting Memtest86+ from the live CD - not from within the operating System.

Also take precautions regarding Static Discharge when removing or installing any PC component ... perhaps by touching a bare metal part of the case throughout the procedure (and of cause with it unplugged from any power source).