HP Envy 17 no display

Closed
mmff1989 Posts 4 Registration date Monday March 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2015 - Mar 16, 2015 at 04:03 PM
mmff1989 Posts 4 Registration date Monday March 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2015 - Mar 17, 2015 at 07:21 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to this board and got a question.

My Envy 17 screen went black for no reason when I tried to boot the system.

I can boot the system via external monitor in safe mode, but not in normal (crashes right after 'starting windows' screen);
I tried to uninstall gpu drivers but it didnt help.

GPU was idling at 80 despite proper thermal paste application and copper pad being snug

Motherboard, display, gpu problem?
Any ideas?

Thanks for all the answers
Related:

5 responses

MaxStart Posts 339 Registration date Tuesday March 3, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 3, 2015 69
Mar 16, 2015 at 09:04 PM
since that you can boot into safe mode I have to ask you:
does your system post boot (right when you power on and display the boot info or the logo) without the external monitor? or nothing shows up?
if it does show anything before it goes to black this indicates that it's a soft issue, otherwise it it related either to your display card or the mainbord.

if you boot with nothing showing on screen please follow this:
  • - remove the ram modules.
  • - remove the mainboard battery.
  • - remove the battery.
  • - wait for a minute or so.
  • - put everything back.
  • - press and hold the start button for 15 seconds (reset).

Good luck.
mmff1989 Posts 4 Registration date Monday March 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2015
Mar 17, 2015 at 04:24 AM
The onboard display stays black
mmff1989 Posts 4 Registration date Monday March 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2015
Mar 17, 2015 at 04:25 AM
I did try this reset method, but it didnt help.
MaxStart Posts 339 Registration date Tuesday March 3, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 3, 2015 69
Mar 17, 2015 at 05:12 AM
OK, let's start troubleshooting with a clean OS
the very first thing we need to do is to boot into safe mode and when windows load it self into safe mode go to power off choose restart while pressing shift key.
this will force the machine to restart into recovery mode.
of course doing all that require you to use the external monitor.

after you've recovered your windows into a clean state and still having the black screen then we can treat it as a hardware issue.

I don't know if you do have the tools to get on going troubleshooting the hardware but I will assume that you do.
so first of all you will connect your original screen to another working machine to check if it is working or not.
if it is working step two is to remove the display adapter and test it on another machine if that goes to nothing too
I suppose that the only thing left for us is the mainbord.
one more advice
since this is a fairly new machine try using the nearest support center.
and get the use of the warranty.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Mar 17, 2015 at 07:21 AM
No change , still can boot only in safe mode via ext display.
In addition to that flickering red vertical lines appeared across external monitor display even in safe mode.