DaVinci Resolve is a free professional-quality video editor that offers all the state-of-the-art features and tools including photo, video, animation, and visual effects editing as well as audio and video post-production. DaVinci is for users with some experience, and film and television professionals.
What are the key features of DaVinci Resolve?
- Clean and modern interface: All the interfaces are intuitive, beautifully designed, and specific to a particular set of functionalities. You will always instinctively find the module you need.
- Fusion module: With the Fusion module, you can easily create titles, visual effects, animations, and various compositions that you will later see applied in the editing and editing modules. It includes more than a hundred different Resolve FX filters such as blurs, lighting effects, image restoration, beauty, styling, and subtitles generation with its integrated close captioning tool. This great power comes with an intuitive node-based workflow that speed-up your productivity without sacrificing sophistication and quality.
- Collaboration: With DaVinci Resolve, working with co-workers on the same project will be very easy.
- Powerful neural engine: DaVinci has a particular functionality called the Neural Engine that uses state-of-the-art machine learning and neural networks technologies. It features facial recognition, object detection, super scale up-scaling, smart-reframing, auto color, speed warp retiming, color matching, and many more! Moreover, the Neural Engine is cross-platform and uses the best GPU innovations to provide stunning performances and high quality. That kind of feature makes the difference and will help you focus on your creativity and will make repetitive and tedious tasks for you.
- Video editing modules: The Edit and Cut modules provide everything you need to edit your videos such as overlays, speed changes, dynamic zoom, image stabilization, and many more. The modules also allow you to apply filters to several clips simultaneously and to preview your modifications.
- Fairlight module: This module is dedicated to audio post-production and features a high-performance engine called Fairlight Audio Core which supports up to 2,000 soundtracks in a single system.
- Color module: Thanks to the color grading module, you will be able to fine-tune every aspect of the images’ color tone. Easily choose the color format you want among HDR, YRGB, RGB, or YCbCr. You can also use the intelligent Magic Mask to apply adjustments to specific parts of the images. The color module contains lots more features, but we will let you discover them.
- Tons of supported formats: DaVinci supports an incredible range of formats such as QuickTime, AVI, R3D, MXF, ProRes, DNxHD, DPX, CIN, and EXR for video; WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC/M4A, FLAC and more for audio; HEIF, J2C, JPG, NEF, PNG, PSD, TGA and TIFF for images. In addition, DaVinci allows you to export your videos and play them on platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo.
- Lightweight: DaVinci software is designed to provide high-quality content and to run with good performance, even on a laptop.
How does DaVinci Resolve work?
The installation and setup process is simple and works out of the box:
- First, you need to download the DaVinci Resolve installation file we provide you and start the installation process.
- Once the installation is over and DaVinci is started you will be prompted to create a new project and adjust the settings. After this preliminary step, you will see the DaVinci interface so you can import your clips and audio files to start working on them.
Note that each tab corresponds to one of the modules described above. You can navigate between them, perform adjustments, and immediately preview the result. Once your masterpiece is achieved, you can go to “Deliver” and choose the proper format among the list.
Is DaVinci Resolve better than other video editors?
DaVinci Resolve is undoubtedly one of the best video editors on the market. It is a complete software that allows you to make quick edits, add effects, transitions, color corrections, advanced audio editions, and many more! Even though you may need some practice before becoming more used to all its features, you will quickly love it and adopt it as a reliable asset for your video editing work.
DaVinci is also a well-optimized and advanced free toolkit, unlike other software as Premiere Pro, or Filmora. It is used by freelance editors, but also in the film, television, and advertising industries.