Problem setting up HP Laserjet via Airport Ex

Closed
doomin17 Posts 8 Registration date Friday March 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 15, 2009 - Mar 27, 2009 at 05:06 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 27, 2009 at 06:10 PM
Hello,
I have an Airport Express that has a USB port for connecting a printer. I have a HP Laserket 1005 that I have plugged into the USB port. I am unable to setup the printer in Windows XP. It sort of finds it but is unable to print. The software provided cannot detect anything that isn't plugged directly into my computer. If I use the Windows XP Add Printer function it installs the driver but does not really find the printer. There are 2 virtual USB ports. I assumed this was the Airport but I am not sure. Does anyone have any ideas how I can set this up?

Thanks
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 27, 2009 at 06:10 PM
The printer will connect through the wireless network - you should look for the printer there.

The Apple instructions say:

Creating a New Wireless Network
You can use the AirPort Setup Assistant for Mac OS X or the AirPort Express Assistant
for Windows XP to create a new wireless network. The AirPort Setup Assistant or AirPort
Express Assistant guides you through the steps necessary to name your network,
protect your network with a password, and set other options.
If you plan to use AirTunes to play music on your stereo from iTunes, connect a Toslink
digital fiber optic cable or a mini-stereo-to-dual-RCA cable to the AirPort Express Line
Out port (-) and to your stereo.
If you plan to share a USB printer on your network, connect the printer to the AirPort
Express USB port ( ).
After you connect the audio cable and the USB printer cable:
Open the AirPort Setup Assistant, located in Applications/Utilities on a Macintosh, or
the AirPort Express Assistant, located in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer
using Windows XP. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a new network.

I hope this helps - Good Luck