Xp/vista wireless with static IP

Closed
gw - Apr 6, 2009 at 02:05 PM
Mr. Bishop Posts 27 Registration date Sunday April 5, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 12, 2009 - Apr 6, 2009 at 06:12 PM
Hello, I've got a Dell desktop running Xp Home SP2 and a Linksys router acting as an access point for my home network and 2 laptops: an older eMachines w/xP Home and a newer Acer w/ Vista. Because we can't get broadband where we are, we have internet access using a cellphone as a USB modem for our desktop. This works really well for the xp machines by setting them up with static IP addresses and using the desktop as host. I thought this would work for the vista machine as well but so far it hasn't. I can't get the shared internet connection to work on the vista machine. I can see everything on the network, access files and print from the vista machine and the other machines can see and access it as well, I just can't get to the internet using the shared connection. The vista machine even registers when the host is online but something prevents web pages from loading in any browser I've tried. This only happens on my home network, any place using DHCP seems to work fine. Is it something with xp, vista or both? I'm fairly new at this so any help will go a long way. Thanks in advance
Related:

1 response

Mr. Bishop Posts 27 Registration date Sunday April 5, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 12, 2009 5
Apr 6, 2009 at 06:12 PM
actually no i have a linksys i experience tat issue everytime my linksys goes off and on its jus tat your modem and your linksys router isnt syncronizing there for you have to unplug both and then plugin the modem in first plug both of them in as fast as you can and wait a while then open Interent Explorer on the desktop and everything should be working