D Drive says to format but does not format

Closed
ankush - Nov 4, 2015 at 12:09 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Nov 5, 2015 at 05:39 AM
Hello,

Sir i have a sony vaio laptop i have 2 partitions - local disk c and d. But today when i tried to open d it said that u need to format the disk before using. I dont have any useful things in it. So i tried to format it but my laptop shut downs after sometime i start the format. Plz tell me a solution.
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Nov 5, 2015 at 05:39 AM
Hey there, ankush.

Are C: and D: drives two different HDDs, or two partitions on the same HDD? If this is the same HDD, I'd recommend that you backup any important data which you might have on C: as well, just to be on the safe side. Then I'd suggest that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics tool (or a 3rd party diagnostics tool if you don't know the manufacturer or if it doesn't offer one) and test the drive, to see if any errors or bad sectors pop-up. If everything seems to be OK, I'd suggest that you try the HDD with a different computer, to see if you'd be able to reformat it properly.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative