My D drive is gone. How do I get it back?

Closed
RobertHughJazz Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday May 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2016 - May 3, 2016 at 11:40 PM
 RobertHughJazz - May 9, 2016 at 06:19 AM
I'm running windows 10.
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
May 4, 2016 at 02:29 AM
Hi RobertHughJazz,

Could you upload a screenshot from Disk Management? Check if the drive is visible there and if that D drive is marked as unassigned with a black line. What options do you get, if right click the drive? Try assigning another drive letter, if that is possible. Do you have important data in that drive?

Hope this helps

RobertHughJazz Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday May 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2016
May 4, 2016 at 02:52 AM
Thanks for your help.

I'll get a pic soon I have to head out for a bit. The program shows the D drive doesn't have a name, its blank. How do I change it?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
May 4, 2016 at 03:19 AM
If it is a missing drive letter, you may try to assign one by right clicking the drive and selecting that option. If the drive is missing a file format, do not try to format/initialize the drive, because you will affect all stored data.
I have seen similar problems and most of them were Windows 10 related issues and not hard drive problems. Have you been using the drive normally since you have Windows10?
RobertHughJazz Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday May 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2016 > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
May 4, 2016 at 05:59 AM
Here's the link to Disk Management.

http://users.tpg.com.au/robertru/images/cm.jpg

F.Y.I. D Drive is my DVD writer. So it has no data obviously. So you think I should reassign another letter. I will, if your sure I wont run in to any problems because of it in the future.

Occasionally I stuff around with the computer to learn more but as far as I know I haven't changed anything relevant to the missing drive.

I've experienced the missing drive d before in the windows 7 days. Can't recall how it got fixed back then.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > RobertHughJazz Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday May 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2016
May 5, 2016 at 02:53 AM
Changing the drive letter to another one which is not in use or reserved should not cause any trouble. The problem is that the No Media status often indicates connectivity issues or failed device. Look if it will be possible to change DVD writer's cable and motherboard port. Another thing you can try is opening Device Manager and searching for the drive. Uninstall it and restart the PC. After that, Windows should detect and reinstall the drive automatically. Check if there will be any change.
If it is a SATA writer, you can try to connect it to another motherboard in order to confirm what the cause of the problem is.
RobertHughJazz > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
May 8, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Here's the pic.

http://users.tpg.com.au/robertru/images/cm.jpg

I've already tried the uninstalling in Device manager but the same crap gets reinstalled. I can't open the box because I dont know anything about hardware and opening the box freaks me out. I think either my physical drive C or my DVD drive is a SATA.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > RobertHughJazz
May 9, 2016 at 05:11 AM
Sadly, the best way to find out if the DVD is working fine is to connect it to another PC. If you do not know how to do it, better ask a friend for some help. You only need to disconnect all the cables that lead to the DVD. In order to remove it from the box, you may need to open the box from the front, but that depends on the type of case you are using.
Another think to try: open the case and find the cables that lead to the DVD. One is connecting the drive and the power supply and the other one is connecting the DVD and the motherboard. Disconnect the one that connects the motherboard and the DVD and go to some tech store. Get the same type of cable and reconnect the drive.