Registration date
Thursday June 9, 2016
Status
Last seen
June 9, 2016
-
 Blocked Profile -
Hello,
I am having a hard time figuring out this What-If formula. I have my employees make notes in Cell A. So A1 might read "The customer came into the store wearing a red hoody" and cell A2 might read "The customer came in with a backpack." I am trying to have the spreadsheet "flag" the cell that contains the word "hoody" or "Backpack." My problem is this.. when I do =if(A1="hoody", "Yes", "no") the result always comes back as no because there are more words in the cell. Has anyone found a work around that would filter out the word "hoody" within that cell?

2 replies

Try the FIND function?

I think SEARCH will do it!
It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney
Registration date
Thursday June 9, 2016
Status
Last seen
June 9, 2016

I have never used that function before.... I will search it out and see how I can use it. I am trying to search out 4 different words within my spreadsheet. The words appear in different cells, so I will need to create a lengthy what-if statement. This should be interesting.

Ex: A1 will say "Guy in red hat"
A2 will say "Normal guy"
A3 will say "Guy in hoody shirt"

I want to create a what-if scenario that will identify "hat" or "hoody" within those cells in Cell B1-B3. I want to search though a lot of data identifying that information. Thanks for the tip.
Blocked Profile
Me neither! But at least there is a lead! We don't do turn key solutions! Post some code when you are stuck, there are some PRETTY SMART programmers around here, that are willing to help when you are stuck!
Registration date
Thursday July 24, 2014
Status
Last seen
May 7, 2021
Hello Tylernicoll,

Have a look at the following link:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfbrnz5jjpp3uha/EST.xlsx?dl=0

I'm sure its pretty close to what you would like. The original Poster was searching for two particular words (sentences in Column J) returning the result in Column A where the formula has been dragged down. You probably get the drift of the formula so just change the words and cell references to suit yourself and add a couple of more arguments for the additional two words you wish to find.

I hope that this helps.
Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Blocked Profile
Thank you vcoolio!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!