Bootmgr compressed hp mini

Closed
Mommaredfox Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 23, 2016 Status Member Last seen August 3, 2016 - Aug 3, 2016 at 07:19 PM
Monicadawson Posts 29 Registration date Thursday July 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2016 - Aug 4, 2016 at 07:07 AM
I have an HP Mini 1000. It has no optical drive to insert a cd/dvd in to repair bootmgr. i do however have a bootable usb that allows me to get into dos but it keeps telling me the programs cannot be run from dos. i recieved the mini as a gift so i dont know what os it has/had on it or what hardware it came with.

1 response

Monicadawson Posts 29 Registration date Thursday July 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2016
Aug 4, 2016 at 07:07 AM
When starting the notebook, the error BOOTMGR is compressed is displayed and prevents the notebook from entering Windows.

The BootMGR has been compressed error is a result of compressing the hard drive using Windows drive compression. To resolve this error, create a bootable drive so that the notebook can boot from the device and load the tools to uncompress the BootMGR file. This will also prevent the file from becoming compressed in the future.
Read this first
Requirements:
• A computer with an Internet connection running Windows XP or greater
• A blank USB Flash Drive or Memory Card with a minimum capacity 256MB of available storage
Limitations:
• Only a few types of storage media are applicable. Pocket media drives and the Personal media drive cannot be correctly formatted. The only options available are NTFS or ExFAT, and the device must be formatted as FAT in order to be bootable.
• If using an external hard drive, it must be formatted to FAT and viewable in the “Computer” window. Optical drive media are not applicable for this resolution as they use a different file system and cannot be formatted to FAT.
To create a bootable drive and use it to boot into Windows from the error message, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Download Roxio Utility
1. Go to http://www.roxio.com/go/bootmgrfix and register or log in with Roxio.
2. Download both the Installation instructions and the Roxio Back on Track Repair kit.

Step 2: Make the USB flash drive or memory card a bootable device
1. After the downloading the files, double-click the .exe file to launch the Administration utility.
2. Remove all USB devices except the USB Glash Drive you want to format. You will prompted for the drive letter of the inserted media. For example, if the drive is displayed as Kingston memory at J: you must type the letter J and press the Enter key on the keyboard.

3. Enter Y and then press the Enter key on the keyboard to confirm that you want to format the drive.

4. Once the program is done, it is safe to remove the USB flash drive or memory card.

Step 3: Run the software solution
1. Insert the USB flash drive or memory card into the notebook displaying the BOOTMGR is compressed error message.
2. Reboot the notebook and start tapping the F9 key until the Please select boot device menu appears.
3. Once you see the boot menu, look for the USB flash drive or Memory card in the list of devices. Use the arrow keys to select the device and press the Enter key on the keyboard.

4. The computer will boot from the device and will run without any prompt until it has finished applying the solution. Once it says Press ENTER to restart computer... remove the USB flash drive or memory card, and then press the Enter key on the keyboard to reboot the computer into Windows.

You should now have a bootable drive that you can use to boot into Windows in the event that the BOOTMGR is compressed error message