Network prob with win xp and 98

Closed
gandyd66 - Apr 30, 2009 at 07:33 PM
 gandyd66 - May 1, 2009 at 09:20 AM
Hello,
I run a win 98 and win xp simultaneously using a broadband router. Just recently I set up a home network with them, using the win xp CD wizard to do so...IP addresses assigned automatically, as well as MSHome work group, NetBios enabled, file and printer sharing etc.

I can ping fine between the two using the assigned IP addresses, and the win 98 system can see the other computer and access its shared docs folder just fine. However, my win xp computer cannot see the win 98 or access its shared folder (the one with the files I really want to transfer.)

I've tried typing into my XP run box \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(IP address win 98)\shared docs... as well as other similar commands, and just wound up with "The network path was not found"
Related:

2 responses

Highway72 Posts 233 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2009 11
May 1, 2009 at 04:46 AM
its a common issue when using different OS versions.... you could try installing a VPN like HAMACHI (free) and that will happily allow shared folder access to work....I had similar issues trying to share between XP and Vista.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I don't think Hamachi supports windows 98, so it may not be applicable in my case. Being a non-techie I'm always nervous about complicating things further.
mikado33 Posts 8 Registration date Saturday January 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 16, 2009
May 1, 2009 at 06:12 AM
hi,
make sure to turn of the Firewall as well.