WD is dedected but wants me to format it before i can use it.

Closed
Rene - Oct 3, 2016 at 06:33 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 3, 2016 at 08:36 AM
Hello,

I have WD that connects but does not open. It keeps on telling me to format the disc before I can use it. It was working perfectly fine. How can I access the files without loosing them by formatting the disc?

Rene
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 3, 2016 at 08:36 AM
Hi Rene,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your WD drive. Please test the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. Open Disk Management and check if the drive appears with correct file format. If the drive has a drive letter, run the Command Prompt as an Administrator and type the following command:

Chkdsk L: /r

Replace L with the drive’s letter. Wait for the process to end and then try to access the files. If there is no change use a data recovery tool in order to try and save the most important data. Check the link below for some suggestions. If the data is very important, contact a data recovery company. Are there any strange noises coming from the drive? If there are, that means that the drive is about to fail and a data recovery company may be the best solution.
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

Hope this helps