Is there a way to allow a certain app to work on LAN?

Closed
CosmicCop Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 7, 2016 - Dec 7, 2016 at 12:58 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 7, 2016 at 01:10 PM
So I have a fairly specific question here and I've tried googling various variations of the question with no luck. Basically the scenario I have is that I will be helping to run a camp this summer, and it would be very nice to have our staff team be able to communicate by text (preferably through GroupMe or a similar group chat app). However, the camp is out of cell service for most providers and there is no internet available. However, there is a camp LAN network. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to enable local communication on a smartphone app across the network? We don't need to be able to communicate to the outside world so we don't need an internet connection, but I would like to be able to use the features of a smartphone text app to communicate with others on the network.
I realize that my hope in a solution for this problem is fairly low but I thought I might as well ask. Thanks all for your help!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 7, 2016 at 01:10 PM
Any APP will need access to the Internet since the functionality depends on the programs running on the Internet Server. The APP only gives you access to the Server's Programs.