IF formula needed

Closed
modemers Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen January 25, 2017 - Jan 25, 2017 at 12:18 PM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Jan 26, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Hello,
I need a formula that IF there is any data/text in the cell it will EQUAL another cell, BUT... I want the cell with the formula to display the data/text, NOT the result of the formula. I want to then auto sum the RESULTS at the bottom of the column. So if a person marks an "X" in the cell, I want it to = an adjacent cell, but I want to SEE the "X", not the number. Then I want to add the number results and get a total. Is this possible??

2 responses

Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Jan 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM
modemers, Good afternoon.

I'm sorry but your explanation is extremely confusing.

Try again by setting an example to make it easier for people to help you.

Surely someone will come to help you.
modemers Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen January 25, 2017
Jan 25, 2017 at 02:48 PM
I'll try.

Column B is a list of numbers (employee gross wages).
Column F is where the user will enter an "X" if that particular employee is participating in a certain program.
When the user marks the x in column F, I want that cell to carry over (=) the gross wages from column B.
BUT... I want the user to SEE the "X". (not the number carried over from column B)
Then I can autosum column F so that I get the total gross wages for the selected employees.
These are inexperienced users and if the cell DISPLAYS the gross wages instead of just the "X", they will think they messed something up.
I don't know if this is possible (to have a formula calculate a result but DISPLAY the original text.
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jan 26, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Hi Modemers,

When column B contains the wages, column F contains the X's and for example column C contains the employee names then try this:
=SUM((B2:B5)*(C2:C5="Employee1")*(F2:F5="X"))

This is an array formula and need to be confirmed by hitting Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
When done correctly, the formula will be enclosed by curly brackets {}.

Best regards,
Trowa