There's nothing more annoying than being harassed by calls or messages from private (hidden) numbers. If so, you can block these numbers on your smartphone- we've got all you need to know in this article.
How to block calls manually?
On Android phones, you can usually add contacts to a blocked list via settings. The steps may vary slightly from one manufacturer to another. However, in general, you should be able to access this setting from the Phone app.
- Open the Phone app, and tap More > Call Settings > Call Rejection.
- Next, tap Auto reject list.
- Now, toggle the Unknown option On.
N.B. If your Android smartphone does not include an option to block unknown numbers, you can also download and install call blocking apps from the list below.
Although Samsung is under Android, the procedure may vary. Follow these steps:
- On Samsung Phones, you’ll find the blocking options in Phone > Settings > Block Numbers
- If you’d like to block calls from people that are not on your list of contacts, you can simply slide and select the option Block Unknown Caller.
- If you only want to block a specific phone number, enter the desired number under Add Phone Number in the Enter Phone Number field of this section.
- Blackberry users should open the Phone App and using your finger, swipe from top to bottom.
- Then select Settings > Call blocking. If this is your first time using the Call blocking option, you will have to create a password to grant access to this feature.
- For Nokia phone users go to Menu > Control Panel > Settings and then Phone > Call Blocking.
- To block unknown callers on an iPhone go to Settings > Phone then scroll down till you see the option Silence Unknown Callers and toggle the switch to on. All future calls from unknown numbers will be silenced and go straight to voicemail, but you will also see them in your call list.
- To block specific callers on an iPhone, open the Phone app and click on Recents. Scroll to the caller you would like to block, tap on the small ⓘ symbol located beside the number and then scroll to Block This Caller.
How to block text messages from unknown numbers?
Blocking text messages from hidden or private numbers requires a specific app.
Apps for Android smartphones
These apps for Android devices block calls and SMS from undesired numbers.
Block numbers on iPhone
Apps for Symbian Phones
How to block a number from a Spectrum account?
To get started, go to the Spectrum website, log in with your account details, and find My Services. Next, click Manage Phone Features. Find Block Unwanted Callers, and activate it by turning it On. In the field that displays, enter the phone numbers that you want to block, and click Add to Block Unwanted Callers List.