Ask a question Report

How Do I Make a PDF Smaller? Zip? [Solved/Closed]

the_craker 5Posts Thursday February 21, 2008Registration date July 29, 2008 Last seen - Latest answer on Dec 6, 2012 01:16PM
How Do I Make a PDF Smaller? Zip?
I have a PDF document that I need to upload that is 3.75mb. The website will only allow me to upload files 3.0mb or less.
I do not have software to alter the PDF, but was wondering if there is another work-around such as a zip/unzip.
How might I be able to do get this document uploaded?
Read more 
moins plus
Simply download PrimoPDF Creator. When you print your document using PrimoPDF it will give you 5 options. You can save according to what the file has to be used for. So for emailing and work related pdf it will make it small enough to send via email etc. or you can choose ebook which will make the pdf larger and hence increase the quality. There is also one other cool feature, you can choose to compress the images only. That way only images are made smaller without compromising the quality. GOOD LUCK and enjoy.

Will- Apr 24, 2010 12:20AM
drag pdf to icon on desktop, then use primoPDF as the "printer" (kindda like one note), then it will open up in primoPDF
mjvw- Apr 30, 2010 02:56PM
Tried this and it didnt work, it made my files bigger!!!! what am i doing wrong??
ek- Oct 15, 2012 07:55PM
amazing! thanks a lot!
dafna- Nov 14, 2012 09:56AM
didnt work for me... :(
Ve- Dec 6, 2012 01:16PM
moins plus
On a Mac, got to HELP and type "compression" and an option will appear
To Compress a PDF file

1.Open the PDF file and choose FILE > save as
2. Choose Reduce File Size from the Quartz Filter pop up menu.

This reduced my large file to 2.8 MB it works

AW- Apr 6, 2010 06:01PM
Awesome!!! Thanks so much :)
Amanda- Apr 18, 2010 05:48PM
It made my file blurry! I don't know what to do.
mikberger- Jun 6, 2010 09:57AM
Thank you. Great advice!
Kaeli- Jun 10, 2010 09:09AM
This was brilliant - and oh, so simple! Worked like a charm. Thanks!
samtaclaus- Jun 27, 2010 01:17AM
worked like a charm! thanks! you saved me!
moins plus
Easier then all of that,

Acrobat 9, Click on Document>then Reduce Pdf Size> then will prompt to click which version or later to reduce, pick any, doesnt really matter> then pick where you want to save it, and voila. Let it reduce it, takes 1-2 minutes and voila your done !

This retains the quality but removes all the background junk that there is in PDFs. I just did a 13mb file down to 800kb file, works great !

MooN- Mar 17, 2010 10:43PM
Great tips!! Thanks!!
kk- Apr 27, 2010 11:10PM
My quality reduces dramatically. Why is this?
yeahright- Apr 28, 2010 06:32PM
BS not all OS are the same voila my butt.
moins plus
1. From within Pages or any other application you're creating a PDF from, click on "Print" in the File pull-down menu.
2. In the Print dialog box, click on the third pull-down menu box ("Copies and Pages"). Select "ColorSync" from the pull-down menu.
3. Click on the "Quartz Filter" button and select "Reduce File Size."
4. Click "Save as PDF."

In the case of my three-page brochure, the resulting PDF was only 227KB (rather than 10MB).

ilovepdf- Jul 1, 2009 07:13PM
Thanks, this worked perfectly! Went from 8.8 mb to 104 kb!
Truth Be Told- Mar 25, 2010 01:28PM
There is no "third pull-down menu" in the Print dialog box. You must be referring to a specific application even though you wrote "or any application." These choices of "ColorSync," "Quartz Filter," etc. do not exist in just any aplication.
Whatever- Apr 3, 2010 11:21AM
The parent means the third option in the pull-down menu. It is not application-specific; it is in the generic print dialog used by any application which doesn't provide a customized one. Its appearance will depend on your version of the OS.
Jas- Apr 6, 2010 04:31AM
I cannot find colorsiyn, quartz filter......... mine is window XP. using Arcobat reader 9.1.
bhatia- Apr 30, 2010 03:46AM
u make us fool
moins plus
What i did was open the PDF and then print to PDF. It reduced the PDF from 8MB to 250KB!
(this will only work if you have a PDF "Printer" already installed. I used Adobe PDF converter.)

rupeerosie- Dec 21, 2009 08:08AM
I'm working on a Mac. I couldn't do this using Adobe but I Control Clicked on the PDF and opened it with Preview which then gave me the Save As options mentioned in other postings - including reduce size. It went from 18MB to 112 kb!
ken- Apr 11, 2010 10:56AM
this works!!!!!
jzap- Apr 25, 2010 01:58PM
I did this but it made the document blurry. Any tips?
Alan- May 4, 2010 08:32AM
It made mine blurry too...
moins plus
How do i make a scanned document is about 3.5 and the sysem only allows for MB2. Or how do make it smaler while scanning?

moins plus
If you have Distiller, it is quite simple.

Save the PDF as a .ps file in Acrobat Reader.
Open Distiller, and under Settings->Job options->Compression, specify your downsize resolution.
If you want a PDF for viewing on monitor only, downsize all graphics to 72 dpi, or 90 at most.
That will probably reduce your file quite a bit.

After setting the options, open the .ps file in Distiller, and it will spit out a much smaller PDF.
Note, that it might get the same name as the original, so make a copy of the original, so that you don't overwrite it. The process is irreversible :-)

moins plus
save as jpg, making the size as small as possible and then save back to PDF.

moins plus
Have you ear about DjVu? is a GNU compresion tool similar to PDF, who is rapid taking place over PDF files. Primary reason: typically DjVU files are at least 5 times smaller than PDF files for the same document, DjVU viewer is a Add-on that installs itself and you can convert wherever you want to DjVU for free.

moins plus
Open the pdf in acrobat. Choose "save as" and save over the original document. And voila! The file size is smaller. If you simply choose "save" rather than "save as" the file size will remain the same.

moins plus
Printing to Primo PDF worked great for me! I had a document that was saving as 38 MG!! This fixed the problem.

moins plus
PrimoPDF great software!

moins plus
PDF to JPEG Converter can easily convert PDF to JPEG and to many other image formats with 100% quality, such as convert PDF to GIF, TIFF, PNG, BMP, PCX, TGA, etc. If you happenly want to convert PDF to JPEG or other image formats for enjoyment, I highly recommend this PDF to JPEG to you.

When do the PDF to JPEG conversion, you can choose to set the output filebe colorful or gray. users can also convert all the pages at one time or
set the page number you want to convert as long as it can meet your need.

Free download this PDF to JPEG Converter to have a free trial.

moins plus
Maybe you can try this PDF to JPEG

moins plus
prit2pdf to make the file smaller

moins plus
Open your PDF, go to Print, print using "Cute PDF Writer" (yes, slyfox-ly converting your PDF into yet another PDF) and it'll somehow shrink it way down. Mine went from 9MB to 6MB. It may or may not continue to downsize the more you do each new PDF.

moins plus
this worked well! basically re-pdf your pdf and it shrinks it A LOT. Thanks!

moins plus

Thats very easy !

first solution download winrar, its a free software that will allow you to compress the file and make it become more smaller !!

Second solution ! if possible, open the PDF file , and reduce the quality of the file! automatically the size of the file will become smaller.

Always happy to help!!

state-of-mind- May 15, 2009 06:33PM
Does Winrar work for Mac?
mad_diane180- Jan 13, 2010 01:17PM
Nope, you need to download UNRARx, this one works great. And Stuff it works too.
0154- Feb 18, 2010 09:37PM
By downloading winrarx and compressing the file, the receiver will in what format? I want them to receive in same pdf format.
rabbit- Apr 9, 2010 03:42PM
Try SimplyRAR, it work on MAC OS :)
moins plus
Large volume files are hard to handle, especially when an individual uploads them as an email attachment. Many problems arise from this activity such as time consumption and an exhaust of employee skill. There are multiple solutions towards this problem. One of the most efficacious solutions to this issue is to locate the best program to compress scanned files. The best program to compress scanned files is considered by looking at the capabilities of the software, which include the quality of the compression, the accuracy of the content, the speed, the price, and the accessibility of the instructions.
There are many contemporarily software in regards to compression but one software in particular has stood out among the rest. CVISION has gained the trust of many individuals and multi-billion conglomerates alike including IBM and Intel. Their file compressor can compress at a rate quicker than most of their competitors with an accuracy rate above 99%. You can download a free 30 day trial here to see if their software fits your needs. Many have argued that their software is the best program to compress scanned files out on the market. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact a company representative and they will be more than happy to help.

This document entitled « How Do I Make a PDF Smaller? Zip? » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.