Upgrade Windows XP SP3 to Windows 10

Closed
Bopper Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2019 - Apr 4, 2019 at 08:26 PM
 Blocked Profile - Apr 6, 2019 at 09:17 AM
Hello all,

At present I am using Windows XP SP3 on my computer. I need to upgrade, I think to Windows 10. Since I have no experience at this, I need help doing it.

What is the procedure?

Thanks,

Kurt
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 4, 2019 at 09:46 PM
You can NOT "upgrade" from XP. You buy a copy of Windows 10 and Install Win 10 which erases all the data on the hard disk.
Assuming that the entire hard drive has been backed up to elsewhere, and Windows 10 installed, how is the application software back-copied to the newly-loaded disk without over-writing the new operating system?

I hope you're not telling me that installing Windows 10 means losing EVERYTHING that you had on the XP drive.

Is Windows Easy Transfer of any value in doing this?

Bopper
Blocked Profile
Apr 5, 2019 at 08:55 AM
It is lost. No value.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 5, 2019 at 06:10 PM
Windows Easy Transfer is not included with Win 10.
I suggest you copy your files to an external drive.
Win 10 will format your Win XP drive as part of the install. So yes you will loose ALL your files.
Bopper Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday August 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2019
Apr 5, 2019 at 07:36 PM
I already have Windows Easy Transfer on my HD. The files will be copied to another drive. What I am want is to copy the applications and their data back to the new-formed Windows 10 disk.

Will something that ran under Windows XP run also under Windows 10?
Blocked Profile
Apr 6, 2019 at 08:26 AM
No, apps are not copied they are installed. You must reinstall the programs, not copy them.
Ok, think of it like this if you want the xp machine to run. Plug the disk into the machine, behind the win10 os, make certain it is not marked to be booted from. Then in windows 10 os, go to features and turn on virtualization. You may have to turn that on in bios if it is not enabled in features.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/quick-start/enable-hyper-v

Then after a restart go to start and in administrative tools, look for hyper v manager. Build a new virtual machine, using native network driver, and using the hdd that has the xp os on it as the disk to boot from. Save it. Start it. Now you have xp behind windows 10 and if you wish to use an xp program, shell into the xp machine and run it!