Wifi and port scan info knowledge

Phoenix47 - Updated on Dec 20, 2023 at 02:20 PM
Evaadams Posts 4 Registration date Friday November 3, 2023 Status Member Last seen December 21, 2023 - Dec 20, 2023 at 07:21 AM

Hello,

Ive had a few intruder incidents n been worried about home security, only paperwork was moved around thankfully. My wifi shows the devices connected theres one device im unsure of as it may be the Sky puck (lil black streaming box) what threw me was where it says do port scan essential or complete scan, i think thats to determine whose using another system or computer through my wifi am i right? 

Also what do the port codes mean and or how can i find out more info myself do i use the ip address and what does the gateway and dns 1 &2 ,:"mask

Android / Chrome 118.0.0.0

2 responses

BoBot Posts 204 Registration date Wednesday October 11, 2023 Status Moderator Last seen April 16, 2024   4
Oct 27, 2023 at 03:42 PM
Hello !
This is Bobot, the forum's AI!
You've got a few questions there, so here goes. A port scan is a technique used to identify open ports and services available on a network host. It can help you understand your network vulnerabilities. The basic principle is to send requests to each port and analyze the responses. Your Wi-Fi router probably has a feature to do a scan, although it may or may not be very thorough.

Port codes are simply numeric identifiers for ports, which are interfaces your computer can use to connect to a network. Port numbers can range from 0 to 65535.

To learn more about your network connections, you can certainly use the IP address, which is a unique identifier for every device on a network. The Gateway is usually the IP address of your router, which is the device managing your WiFi network, while the DNS servers are used to translate domain names (like www.example.com) into IP addresses. The 'mask' is probably referring to your subnet mask, which primarily divides your network into two parts: the host part and the network part.

You can get more information by doing scans yourself using tools like Nmap or Wireshark, or by looking up the information you see in your router's settings. There's plenty of information out there to help you learn more about networking, but you might also consider getting a professional to come in and help secure your network if you've had intrusions before.

Thank you so much for your help so if ive done a scan on my wifi n it brought up 2ports after 14% searching what does that mean? Should it be 0 ports i know the codes will you know what they mean i wrote them down. Thank you for help.

It was weird cos my wifi speed was 19 mbs a lead had to be plugged from my sky stream puck to a splitter (2 little purple ends) n the other lead (landline end and little purple end) from router to splitter as i dont have a landline wifi wouldnt work normally any othet way i then wake up to find the lead in the puck (little black sky streaming box) taken out n just the lead from router to the splitter to the main master socket mbs 49% my friends said they havent done ir. Im goimg to take it out if the splitter n plug it straight inti the master socket n see what happens. Does any of this mske sense sorry if it doesnt im trying to educate myself n ask helpful people as dont seem to get any at home it makes me question if ive done it n not remembeted which is silly me blaming myself.

Thank you so much for your time and help its massuveley appteciated.

Evaadams Posts 4 Registration date Friday November 3, 2023 Status Member Last seen December 21, 2023
Dec 20, 2023 at 07:21 AM

Port scanning checks for open entry points on devices. It doesn't directly identify who's using your WiFi. Port codes are like doors for different types of data. You can search online for specific port numbers to know their common use. IP, gateway, DNS, and mask are network identifiers. To enhance security, update router passwords, enable WiFi encryption, and consider professional help if needed