Dead Motherboard?

Closed
caedmon - Jun 27, 2008 at 06:03 PM
 CdtBragg - Aug 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Hello,

I've just changed the processor on my Motherboard Asus P4V800D-X 478 socket. I had a Celeron 2.4Ghz and after asking Asus support if a P4 3.4Ghz would be compatible with the board, they said ok and I changed it.

Had no problems the first 2 days. Worked fine, fast, much faster than the old one. Switched it off for the night tried to start it again and nothing except for the fan whirring on the Cpu and a blank screen.

The little green light on the motherboard is not lit. There is som power ton the cpu fan, the keyboard ( at least for a brief moment ) and there is a continuous beeping sound from the computer.

1 long + 2 short.

It repeats this as long as there is power on.

Any idea what could have caused this collapse. Could it be the the new processor is not compatible on voltage? Shorted out something.

Maybe the processor clapped out, but that wouldn't short the board out would it?

Have asus en6600 silent graphics card/ 2x256 ram pc3200.
PSU 600 watts

Anybody like to help with a way of testing what could be wrong, so I can at least work out what's blown. I've had no hardware problems at all, this is my first one & I could do without it.
The beeping is probably also significant but what it signifies is beyond me.

Help
Related:

2 responses

Hay caedmon, do you have any idea that P4 & Celeron are completely different processors requiring completely different motherboards? its obvious that might be the cause. get celeron compatible motherboard. I hope you didn't burn everything already!
Sorry, but some MBs ARE compatible with both Celeron AND P4. I have one beside me right now.
hi caedmon
i think the power supply not set for u r mother board.so open the system case cover and put the old processor and reboot ur system now and check the system will not reboot u must change ur mother board