DELL D420 will not install xp honly hangs

Closed
john - Oct 19, 2009 at 07:38 PM
wires and plugs Posts 51 Registration date Monday January 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 24, 2010 - Oct 19, 2009 at 09:53 PM
Hello,
i have a dell d420 which i have replaced the hard drive as the old drive was dead, this is a 60gb 1.8 zif drive :(, bloomin expensive, anyway i have the origanal dell OS Disk and drivers disks and also the media base with the cd drive in, when i try to install windows all it dose is either get stuck @ windows is inspecting your system, or it loads the kernal files then gets stuck at setup is starting windows, i have tryed a oem version of XP PRO, AND XP HOME AND EVEN LINSPIRE with the same result, i have even tryed installing XP PRO (lite ) from a mountable USB drive with exactly the same results, the hard drive is in the bios and can be formated, partioned so that seems to be working, any help would be greatfully accepted :)
Related:

1 response

wires and plugs Posts 51 Registration date Monday January 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 24, 2010 10
Oct 19, 2009 at 09:53 PM
check the power plug on the HDD one of the leads might be dead "bad power supply" Maybe you can switch to a diffrent plug or replace the power supply.. The HDD runs because the 12v is probly working spinning the disc, but the 5v that runst the read/writ armature might not be working properly hanging up the HDD. It seems to load because the system loads certain system file to ROM memory and while doing this yours seems to be hanging up. Hope this helps. Wires And Plugs support@highoptional.com

www.highoptionalpcdiagnosticsandrepair.com