Video display on laptop is blank most times

Closed
saatiish Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday September 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2008 - Sep 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM
Nvidia repair Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday September 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 16, 2009 - Sep 16, 2009 at 05:48 PM
Friends - have been stuck on this issue for a month now and would appreciate your insight.

My problem -

- is a Dell E1705 laptop - (with ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 video card) - refusing to turn on (or power up) the lcd display - most of the times. When it does not work I do not even get to see the dell boot screens. But the hard drive lights blink and the laptop appears to be booting up.

- Once in about 100 times lcd display works with the Media Direct power button - never with the regular button.

- Successful boots achived with battery and ac power and when it works everything looks normal.

What could be the issue here ?
What would explain the random nature of the display turning on or off ?
Can video cards behave erratically ?
How to ascertain if it is a video card (removing without replacing with another video card is not an option on this laptop) ?
Related:

4 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM
hey there,

this kind of problem i would advice you not to try to repair it by yourself as the video card in laptops is integrated and so try to get the advice of an IT professional instead. but never try to repair it by yourself buddy
saatiish Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday September 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2008
Sep 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM
Thanks for the reply - actually in my case the video card is not integrated with the mother board - apparently when I bought the option for video card provided by Dell - they replaced the mother board with one which did not contain the video card. My laptop is about 2 and half years old - the display used to be great and all but then I do not want to spend another $100 odd for diagnosis and another $200 for some part replacement and another $40 odd for mailing -- not when there are new available for $600 with newever CPUs but smaller screens.
Did your laptop got fixed..How yo fixed? I am having the same problem..appreciate your inputs. mine is HP with NVDIA card..thanks
The nvidia go geforce 7900 gs are defective. The gpu's overheat and its a manufactures defect. Dell is not good about replacing defective parts after the warranty even if its a manufactures defect. Just thought I would shed some light on a bad situation. Look at the nvidia page or just type in nividia card gpu problems with the 7000 and 8000 series.
saatiish Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday September 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2008
Sep 22, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Forgot to add my own deductions on the issue - I could be wrong with these

I get blank display - even when an attempt is made after the laptop is been turned off for hours. This may leave out an issue due to overheating.

I cannot figure out if it is a hardware or a software issue - if it was hardware I would have expected the condition to not change with attempts -i.e display will not show always.

Could something be wrong with the display power up software ? What is the software that decides if the display should power up - perhaps it contains a flag which gets turned to off most of the times.

If anybody knows more about this things - you are welcome with your analysis - the answer to this issue will always be a positive experience for most of us.
Nvidia repair Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday September 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 16, 2009
Sep 16, 2009 at 05:48 PM
Hi,

I dont know if I can post my email address so I wont. If you need to contact me, please PM me

Our company is pleased to announce we have found the fault in the Nvidia GPU's that were installed into Dell XPS, E1705, M1710, M90 & Inspiron 9300 / 9400.

We have been able to repair these GPU's with great success. We have been selling repair auctions on Ebay if anyone is interested in having their's repaired. You may search Ebay by seller. Our seller id is webepartz.

We warranty the repair for 30 days. We have been repairing these for about 4 months now and we have had a 1% failure in the first 30 days. We offer a full money back warranty for a full 30 days. We own 4 laptops that use the Nvidia 7950GXT cards that we repaired and the laptops have been running for 4 months now. We run a GPU Benchmark tests on these laptops weekly and temps remain constant with no thermal shutdowns or artifacting on the display.