USB causes BSOD

Closed
The Red Avenger - Sep 30, 2008 at 05:56 AM
 Guest - Oct 13, 2008 at 07:46 AM
Hello,
I wonder if anybody has experienced this one.

Last week I got the dreaded Anti-Virus 2009 virus (suspect family member). So sitting down I had a look to see how i could get rid of it. There seemed to be a number of ways and I used up all my resourses. Spybot, Adaware, Spy Doctor, Spysweeper, AVG, Reg Cleaner etc... you name it I tried it.

The problem has gone away but there is now a new problem. On first reboot half way through, it BSOD'd and rebooted again. It was only for a second and its impossible to see what the error is although it looks like memory as there are memory addresses (about 5 of them). It then cycled rebooting on BSOD at the same point.

Now here's where it gets weird - It will boot up into Safe Mode. Now I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse and I've found that if I unplug the USB connection then it boots fine (obviously I can't do anything then) so I used a PS/2 mouse and keyboard and it works fine on normal bootup. The wireless combo works in Safe Mode.

I decided I would do a system restore but it won't let me. It gives me the option to but when I click on Next after choosing a restore point it just does nothing.

I tried to do a scandisk but it tells me I cannot do that either.

I decided to do a Command Prompt Chkdsk but it tells me when I reboot that the file system is RAW, Okay I looked up RAW and found the file system has been changed. I also found that you can't access RAW drives without a third party software such as "Partition Magic" but my Operating system is on this drive so it can't be RAW can it? I have two physical disks and this problem of is on both disks. I could see one drive being affected but both? When one is for storage only. In Windows they both show up as NTFS.

Okay I can live with using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard for now, however I went to turn on my all in one printer last night and it BSOD'd - so now I can't even print. I had before that been using the front USB ports with a flashdrive, mobile phone connector and card reader and that worked fine. No BSOD.

I'm absolutely stumped as to whats causing this. The only thinkg I can think of is that this virus is still on here somewhere but I can't find it.

Can anybody help?

I am using Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3.
RA
Related:

1 response

When did you install XP SP3? We just started installing SP3 on our company computers and a select few of the older computers are experiencing the USB reboot problem. Using a PS2 keyboard and mouse we have no problems. As soon as you plug in a USB device, e.g. mouse, keyboard, cac reader, etc... the computer instantly goes into a reboot cycle.