Puzzled aspiring PC Geek

Closed
Sun - Mar 14, 2010 at 04:23 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Hello,
I downloade AVG files using a torrent & they had some malicious software now my computer has crashed cannot use any windows disk to enter windows setup. Managed to install UBuntu 9.10 but I think my memory has been attacked>I need to install windows due to my being comfortable with it. I need serious help. TIA
Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 14, 2010 at 04:38 PM
Hello Sunny,

This is serious business!

Please, what is it that you can do with your system now?

When you say that your system crashed do you mean you cannot reboot even in safe mode?

Can you reboot at all? If not, what do you see?

What do you mean that you need to install Windows, what did you have before?

Malicious software you say! That is a killer.

Waiting for your answer.

P.S. Please be patient if you do not receive an instant reply as most contributors on this forum have other obligations, but it should not take too long.
Sun Day 3113 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday March 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 15, 2010
Mar 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM
I had a windows vista home edition os that came with my hp laptop when I bought it then I was dowloading sm files thru limewire and got a malicious software that killed my os. I tried to recover the system, to restore it to its factory defaults etc. but to no avail. Then it couldnt boot altogether. I installed ubuntu 9.10 but everytime I want to install windows xp then bloody thing crashes to a blue screen saying I should check my computer for viruses etc. This happens soon as windows xp finishes loading its files for setup before the options page comes up. I need the windows xp on my machine... Please help
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Hello Sunny,

Limewire! No wonder, a deadly site! You don't even need to download anything, you can infected just looking at it!

If you can access a drive and open it, please download ComboFix and run it on your machine

Here is where you can get it:

https://combofix.org/
Sun Day 3113 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday March 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 15, 2010
Mar 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM
I can only access my drives through ubuntu linux. I dont know whether I can find a linux based combofix but I am working on it right now. Anyways what is a better site for downloading stuff coz I need to get safer and more secure. thanks for the help.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Mar 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Hello,

I don't know much about Linux, but you will need a Windows Combofix to run it on your sick machine.

Safer site to download, you can find all kinds if you Google. But Limewire is a playing field and testing ground for hackers, pirates. It is sort of a lab to fabricate viruses especially in the applications section.

When your machine recovers, I will give a site where you can upload files for a deep virus and malware analysis.