Installing a wireless router

Closed
vq13 - Oct 15, 2008 at 09:35 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 15, 2008 at 11:43 AM
Hello,

We have a desktop computer that is hooked up with a regular (not wireless) router from the cable company. I just bought a laptop and want to go wireless for the laptop (i dont really care if the desktop does or not).

The cable companywants to charge $50 to install a wireless router and charge an extra $10/month. I heard we can buy a simple wireless router anywere for under a $100. BUT...can i hook it up without the cable company knowing??? if so, how? how do i set up? I need the kindergarden instructions!?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 15, 2008 at 11:43 AM
Yes you should be able to connect a wireless router to the cable supplied router. Does the cable company supply a router or just a "modem"? If the cable box has more than one lan output plug then it's a router - only one plug it's a modem. The cable company should not be able to see what equipment is behind the router/modem. Note: if you truly have a router connect the desktop lan wire to the new wireless router then you can share files and printer. Otherwise the new wireless box security will stop you from sharing the printer.

Go to this site for info about home networks / wireless

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-set-up-a-network-4097198